• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any Hope To OC? Celeron 533 PPGA OEM, Abit BE6 II, Asus S370 L Slot Card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FreeBase X

Well... I've been Trying this for quite a while now with absolutly no Change what so ever.... My MHZ don't even budge at all...

So heres what I have:

Celeron 533 PPGA OEM
Abit BE6 II (Latest Bios Flashed)
Asus S370 L Slot Card

So from what I've gathered so far is that Old Celerons Like mine, Have the multipliyer Locked and can't have an FSB higher than 66MHZ.... So How the heck did anyone get to OC to 600 as indicated on Overclockers.com?....

What do I have to do? Can Anyone Help?

Thanx in advanced....

The old PPGA Celerons are overclocking dogs to begin with. They can be overclocked but don't expect anything spectacular.

You can change the FSB in your BIOS or by jumpers on the motherboard. 75 or 83MHz is probably all I would expect that chip to do at best. Good cooling will be necessary as they run at higher voltages than do the recent Coppermines, therefore hotter. Lapping the core of that processor may help a bit considering the PPGA chips have huge, uneven core for the most part. Seems like they are slightly pitted too (I had a 466MHz Celly PPGA).

Good luck!

EDIT:

Where are my manners?

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!

Hope your stay is long and full of overclockin' fun!

sorry for the bad news.. but the 533 celeron 1's (mercendo core)
dont overclock all that well. 533 was the max intel ever got from that chip.

You should still be able to hit 600. this is done by changeing the FSB(front side bus) you are correct that the multiplier can not be changed.

How you can overclock that chip is enter you BIOS.
and go to the softmenu setup. here you will be able to change the FSB of the CPU from 66 to 75 (if you are lucky)
If you computer will not post after you have changed this hold down insert. this will load setup defualts.... and you should post then....

The next step is slowly upping the Vcore.. But do this with cation. As if you dont have proper cooling can harm your CPU.

Thanx for your post guys, I really appreciate it....

So I upped My FSB to 75MHZ.... and for the first time, I actually boot to post and showed 600mhz, everything good so far got to boot sequence... everything normal...... But now My Os wont boot... BSOD..... I'm running XP Pro BTW...... anyway... Error mensioned something about pci.sys..... So what now?.....

Error messages on OS startups are directly related to an unstable overclock. Check your heatsink to see if its on level, and try using some thermal paste.

You know with a 533 PPGA, you have, VERY little chance of a good overclock, that being 600. Sorry man, your right at the limit of the chip.

Do you know what the temp is for that chip?
what heatsink are you using?
If you have a good heatsink and low temps... you might want to try upping the voltage to get that cpu stable.

You will have to push that CPU hard to get it at 600...
And more coolling and more voltage is the only way you will be able to do that. But rember, the good cooling always comes before more volts.....
and that still may not be enough

Your best bet is to ditch the processor and buy a 600celly cCO. Many guys have got them to very high overclocks. I wouldnt expect much but if you can get it to 100fsb (very possible)everything else in the comp will stay intact Due to the 1/3 PCI and 2/3 AGP divisors.

I would buy a new processor and not expect to pay more than $35 shipped to your door (if in the USA).

The BE6 is a great MB for o/c! I have the same slocket as you and have booted up to 135fsb.

i know buying a processor isnt the type of reply you wanted but form your expeirence and others here saying that you wont get anything from taht 533 I suggest you do so.

Happy O/Cing and welcome to our forum. and dont buy a Gorb!

Well here's what gives...

The Norm temp on that CPU is 70degC, and before Clocking I usually get about 66degC, With normal Heatsink and Fan.... And After Clocking to 600 I get temps at about 70-71degC With normal Heatsink.... Here are my settings:

75mhz FSB
x8 multiplyer
1/2 PCI ratio
1/1 AGP ratio
2.10 core

I nevery really expected to clock it too much... I just wanted to get a little more out of it... I find it way too slow.... My goal is to buy a better CPU and not have to o/c it....

Thanx for the Welcomes BTW... Nice to be in good forum with friendly people....

your temps are high....
you should try to get them down....
are you using any thermal paste?

if you have an extra fan try having it blow on your heatsink, free way to get temps down.

Try the cel600 as a good stepping stone to overclocking. As long as you dont break it you can easily sell it one ebay at almost the original price.

Back