• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can this temp be right?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Radar

Last night I bumped my OC up to 2442 MHz (222x11) @ 1.800 volts and my system was idling at 40*C. I did an hour of priming with SpeedFan open and it read 47*C. So I bumped P95 up to priority 10 and left it to prime overnight. When I turned prime off, and checked my temps again with SpeedFan, it was reading 40*C (just 30 seconds off of P95 load)! I figured that it must have cooled down between turning Prime off and starting SpeedFan, so I start prime up again (still @ prio 10) and SF reads 42*C MAX! Is my CPU getting hot enough to distort my socket thermsistor readings? Could my AS5 have settled a little more overnight? Could my 7200 RPM HD spinning down (it's right in front of my intakes) have done this?

Honestly, that sounds about right for an AMD chip. They don't run quite as warm as Intel's.

Nice overclock by the way, and if you aren't having any stability problems, I wouldn't worry too much.

Hmm... I can't really explain the temp drop. Your AS could be settling, or even if it's a few degrees cooler in the room that can have an affect also..
In any event, I wouldn't worry until/if you break 50C under load.

yeah those are good temps. I run 200x11.5 2.18 ghz on a barton 2500. I idle at around 31 load at 38

Hmm.. really? Back when I had AMD, my 2700+ ran 32degrees stock, and about 38degrees running 11 x 200.. Those are idle temps..

Of course my Abit board doesn't read temps correctly, so I really don't have a good idea how cool, or warm, it's running.. :rolleyes:

"Yeah AMD's run hotter~ always have"

yeah, and i'm a monkey. maybe the newer ones do, but amd usedto run a-LOT cooler than the intel chips of the same speed. you'll never convince me otherwise, look at the difference between a p3 and a k6-2 (the older p3's, not the newer socket ones that are over a gig :p )

oh, and yeah, overnight, maybe your heat turns down and your intake air was cooler?

Back