• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium 7 code named Conroe? + Where does Yamhill fit in?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't think netburst is going to last too long. Nehalem is supposed to be different technology than netburst.

Was "Yamhill" then a "technology" like 64 bit for IA32 CPUs?

That is what Intel have done with announcing their "Clackamass Technology" - 64 bit extensions for Xeon and P4.

More info on Conroe:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20040222123818.html

Cool, quiet and powerfull will be be very nice....

And there is also talk on multicore CPUs - maybe Tejas itself....

there are rumors that HT2 and HT3 may have more virtual processing units, ie. they would appear as 4-ways or something. At the very least they are going to be improved in thier handleing of threads. Just an update with improved componets and logic. As far as I know anyways.

seamadan000 said:
yamhill is the codename for intel's 64-bit extensions. It is in the prescott core, but it is disabled, much like HT was in the northwoods before the 3.06.

Hm. This would imply that later releases of Prescotts will officially have 64 bit extensions, in other words, a future Prescott (not Tejas) will be the first release with 64 bit extensions?

P.S.
Why would it be inaccurate to call 'x86-64 instruction set' as 'AMD64 instruction set'?

Conroe:
From what I understand, and what little I've heard about it, it is the desktop version of the Pentium-M. Which whould make it an extreme pentium III?
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14257

Yamhill:
A prescott with 64 bit extensions.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14040

P.S.
Why would it be inaccurate to call 'x86-64 instruction set' as 'AMD64 instruction set'?

Personally I feel it would be contradictory (sp?). Since Intel owns rights to x86. So maybe we should call it iAMD64.

x86-64 instructions are pretty much what AMD set up, unless MS decides to change its mind and support a custom 64 bit Intel set.

How would you go about calling in the AMD version of x86-64?

You know, with out having to type out, "the AMD version of 64 bit on the x86 architecture." lol

Oh yeah, I did want to say that the HT in Prescotts seems to be much improved. I'd take a 15% gain in some apps any day(can't remeber which program it was though).

the first intel processor with x86-64 is going to be a xeon (which was announced at IDF). This xeon is based on the prescott core (some will have more cache for the xeon MP), so they simply disable it on the pentiums and enable it on the xeons they want to, it makes more sense than having seperate productions for each. They did the same thing with HT in the northwood core. The xeons with the northwood core had HT for a long time before the pentiums did. Intel will activate x86-64 on the desktop when it feels the time is right.

All this means to me is that I shouldn't be buying anything now...and wait forthem to have all these new Pentium 5's and 6's...and then buy the BEST Pentium 4's at close to no cost. :-D

that depends on how fast AMD starts to gain foothold on the desktop with the athlon 64 and how fast the demand for memory addressability grows on the desktop. I would not be suprised to see an "extreme editon" pentium with x86-64, it seems like a good way to add value to the 'enthusiast' chip, and the xeon it will be based on will already have it enabled, but that is idle speculation on my part.

...So there never will be anything code named 'Nehalem'...

If memory serves me right, Nehalem was the successor to tejas with all the previous goodies and a modular design.

I bet there is a good chance that with the heat problems we are seeing and Intel moving to a new model scheme. Most of Intel's attention is moving towards the Banias core and its successor, which they will try to ramp up high enough to get on the desktop.

Back