• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best AMD OC'er??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mkoersvelt

Looking to ditch my Intel for an AMD cpu. Which one is the best OC'er? Also which mobo goes best from Abit? I want to build a smokin system so I figure I might as well start with the right core.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

mkoersvelt said:
Thanks "Stinky Squirrel" but if you want to spring for a $1000 cpu, knock yourself out buddy!

Er... Ok... The 3000+ is around 230 bucks. I would go with a 2100, or 2500 mobile though. Do a search, you'll get alot more answers this way too. :)

Blah can you say 2500 Mobile Barton.

Best ocer so far IMO.

2500 barton and 2100 tbred's and duron's all do good and also some of the older tbred 1700 or 1800 that are unlocked.

Normally by the stepping. (sticker on the cpu itself)

If you cant change the muiltplier in bios's then chances are it's locked.

Also has to do when the chip was released. Some periods they are unlocked, and others their aren't. Its a luck of the draw as if you're going to get an unlocked chip or a good overclocker.

Stepping.

On a AMD cpu, what stepping I.D. # should I look for?

0= new run
1= second run etc.....

I guess a 2 would be best? Perhaps a 1 step. What have other people experienced?

AMD

Its funny you point out that Abit mobo. Thats the one I've got my eye on. I run a BH6 now and it has always been great. You can OC the **** out of it and it comes back for more.

Well, I was torn between the Abit NF7-S and the DFI Lanparty Ultra B, but the guys here convinced me to keep my Abit ... and since you specifically asked about Abit boards, it was an easy one to recommend. Heard awesome things about that board (I have one, just haven't installed it yet), and it's about $50 cheaper than the DFI.

Why pay $99 for the Mobile 2500 instead of $77 for the Mobile 2400? From what I gather, their cores seem to be giving off the same overclocking performance.

PerlAddict said:
Well, I was torn between the Abit NF7-S and the DFI Lanparty Ultra B, but the guys here convinced me to keep my Abit ... and since you specifically asked about Abit boards, it was an easy one to recommend. Heard awesome things about that board (I have one, just haven't installed it yet), and it's about $50 cheaper than the DFI.

If you want the DFI but think the LAN Party is too expensive,
consider the Ultra Infinity instead. ... same as the LAN Party
except for lack of UV reactive components and GigLAN.
They even use the same BIOS.

From what people are posting on the forums the newer revision
nf-7 isn't the great OCer it used to be. different cap supplier
or something.

Anyway, the DFI are getting 250fsb straight out of the box.
if I were to build another nf2 system it would be around one of those.

Best of luck with whatever you pick. :)

mkoersvelt said:
Thanks "Stinky Squirrel" but if you want to spring for a $1000 cpu, knock yourself out buddy!

Which AMD's Athlon 64 chip costs $1000?

Check out for yourself HERE

For answering your topic, Mobile Barton 2500+ seems to overclock the best. But after overclocking it still don't stand a chance against any of the Athlon 64 chip at stock speed even in 32bit benchmarks. 64bit WindowsXP will be out soon. I've already received beta version in mail. Once 64bit programs are flying around, you'll gain tons of performance without any hardware change if you have an Athlon 64 chip.

Of course if you don't want to spend over $200, just grab a Barton instead. It's still a very good chip, but Athlon 64 is far more superior. Check HERE for some real information from other memebers. In some old posts I've seen before the Athlon 64 3000+ overclocked at 2.3GHZ got over 23,000 points in 3dmark2k1SE, while my 3.4GHZ P4 only got the score below in my sig, both with 9800Pro. Keep in mind it's only a 32bit benchmark under 32bit WinXP. Thus Athlon 64's real advantage isn't showing yet.

Last edited:
what bout a 2800 NC, and an Epox board

2800+ NC=149 US.
Epox k8da3j=99 US.

248 us, pull ram, if you wanna upgrade it, and an slk-948u for 50 bucks to coolit
total
$300 us

#18 i think said it best. yeah you could overclock an xp mobile but if you have the extra $$$ go 64bit, thats where everything will be eventually anyways.
you dont want to be behind the times do you? heh ^^ good luck with amd.

mkoersvelt said:
In Canada, these chips are still $1000 with a Mobo. Love to have one but, just too pricey. :attn:

This is not accurate. You might want to explore this further before you make a decision. Here is what you could get in the A64 world in CANADIAN dollars (this is from vibecomputers.com, not the cheapest... see canadacomputers.com for some of the cheapest):

Athlon A64 2800+ $205.51
GA-K8VT800 FOR AMD SOCKET-754 $123.86

TOTAL $324.37

And if you did go with an XP mobile combo, here would be the price, ALSO in Canadian dollars from the same online store:

XP mobile 2500+ $133.79
Abit NF7-S $138.95

TOTAL $272.74

That is a difference of ONLY $51.63 (or roughly $39 US) from an XP mobile to an A64 overclockable setup !!! I really don't understand why you mention the $1000 expenditure here...

BOTTOM LINE - for that $39 US extra, when you overclock the /$!t out of the mobile and only moderately overclock the A64 - THE A64 WILL OWN the mobile and hand it its A/$ (especially in gaming). The XP mobile is yesterday and the A64 is the future.... at the same clock speed there is a big difference between the two in performance.

I am not trying to say that you shouldn't buy the mobile, it is a great value. But if you do, know that everytime you hear somebody say they have a good A64 setup, they have a better rig than yours if they overclock, and they might only have paid $50 more. There seems to be a concensus with MOST of the AMD fans that the A64 is now the best choice for overclocking value wise.

Just making sure you understand because you don't seem to have studied A64's very extensively... I don't mean to offend you in any way. :)

Back