• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

good idea or bad idea?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

J05H

I have 2 HDs, a WD 80gig, and a WD 30gig. My 80gig holds WinXP and software I install, and my 30gig is used to store stuff I've downloaded.

My 30gig is full tho, and theirs plenty of room on my 80gig, so I was thinking about switching my HDs around so that my 30gig is my WinXP/software drive, and my 80gig is storage.

Then I also started thinking, my 80gig runs at 7200rpms with an 8mb cache, and my 30gig only runs at I think, 5400rpms with a 2mb cache.

Would running WinXP on my 30gig reduce the performance of my computer? Seems like it would, but Im not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreiciated. Thanks

if its a 5400rpm it slow down a lil im not sure on how much it will slow it down. id try it

i got my 40gb as my master and my 80gb as my slave. i always have my small hd as my master.

so id give it a try see what it does

Welcome To The Forum

It will absolutely show your system down. To what extend I'm not sure. My main HD is a 5400RPM, and it sucks compared to the nice 7200RPM HD's I use. So there's definately a difference.

Although, why switch? Why not just place your d/l files onto your 80GB main HD. You can always create another partition as well, which would allow you make the extra partitions act as seperate drives. That way, you could easily reinstall XP, etc, all w/o effecting anything.

Ive switched between 5400 => 7200 => 10k drives, and downgrading will agravate you to no end, Ive done it and couldent wait to switch back.

Honestly...how much better is 7200RPM? I'm on other machines that seem so lightning fast at school. Although, they're 2Ghz P4 machines with 7200RPM and 256MB DDR ram. I go back on my 1.3Ghz celeron, 5400RPM, and 384MB ram, onboard graphics, and cry!

I'm thinking about upgrading next year with a P4 800FSB 3.0Ghz, 512MB DDR Ram, 80GB 7200RPM SATA, 128MB DDR Graphics, etc.

Back