• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats better, P4 2.8Ghz or Athlon XP 2500+ OC'ed to a 3200+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thc_ltd

Registered
I own a P4 2.8 Ghz cpu and Im in the market to upgrade almost all the parts of my system. My question is am I better off with what I have now or would a Athlon XP 2500+ overclocked to a 3200+? I really wanted either the Athlon 64 or P4 2.4C but I dont have the money for either of those along with a new mobo and all the other stuff i want so there both out of the question. I know I could probably get 3.0 Ghz out of my P4 at the least and still be stable. I mostly play games but also dont want it to lag during apps. I know theres a lot of varibles invovled like memory and what not. I know a good amount about overclocking and computers and since Im buying all new things Im going to buy all good stuff for which ever cpu I get. I would appreciate any input on any part of this subject. Thanks.

a 3200+ is better than 2.8p4 but borth overclocked the p4 is better
u have good system for the moment u dont need to update it to amd 2500@3200+ this will give approximativly the same performance

Personally I enjoy playing around with overclocking my system and AMD's just don't have the headroom of the Intel Jobbies.

I would go for the 2.8 over the Barton. Dual channel memory considerations are also important and AMD doesn't have an edge there whatsoever.

regards,

ropey

I assume that because you cant use a 2.4C in your mobo then you must have a 2.8B? Not up to speed on Intel but just my interpretation of your initial post. If that is the case perhaps some of the Intel users can share some light on the 2.8B (I think most people are assuming it is a 2.8C and there may be some performance differences).

I thought so too. It must be a 2.8B. I've overclocked one, it could do 3.3GHZ but not stable.(stock cooling sucks lol).

Barton 2500+ overclock to 3200+ may perform a little better, but it's hardly a upgrade. Same to overclocked 2.4C, the performance difference is still too small to worth the trouble. You 2.8B is just fine. Wait until you have more budget to buy an Athlon 64.

I have a 2.8b. I also plan on buying a good cooling setup and I also mod my own cases with my dremel and this one is going to be modded specificly for cooling. I cant really afford water-cooling right now but maybe in a few months. So basically I should just keep the 2.8B I have and spend the money on a good mobo for intel overclocking, a high ddr ram, and a good cooling system. Im not sure if I should get a cheaper 256Mb video card like the Radeon 9200(?) or the GeForce FX 5200, or should I get a really good 128MB card like the Radeon 9800 or GeForce 5900?

i would see how much you could overclock with ur 2.8b..if you have fast memory..try and keep upping the vcore and then up ur fsb..u can try to hit 200..i dont know if you can hit it..but you can try.

what mobo and ram do you have now?

for video cards, get a good 128mb card instead of a cheap 256mb

ropey said:
Personally I enjoy playing around with overclocking my system and AMD's just don't have the headroom of the Intel Jobbies.

IMO 815 MHz is a decent amount of headroom... ;)

j/k

I wouldn't go changing from a 2.8 to a 3200+ simply because overall performance is likely nearly identical and the difference between the two is not worth the cost of replacing Mobo and CPU

XunknownX said:
If you run pcmark 2002, give me your scores then I'll give you mine. I have a 2500+ OC'd to a 3200+

We've already known a Barton at around 2.3GHZ should get around 7000 points on CPU score in PCmark02.

PCmark02 seems to favor Intel chips.

Like most have said, keep what you have and use that cash to buy a better vid card if you are a gamer. The 9600 XT is good, but personally I would recommend the 9800 Pro.

Back