• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wd Raptors & Fluid Dynamic Bearings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lunar Wolf

Disabled
I read a review on the WD SATA Raptor 74GB model and they state that their much quieter then the 36gb version as WD are now using the Fluid Dynamic bearings (FDB's) like those used in Seagate drives.

My question is: are WD using the FDB's in the 36gb varients of the SATA Raptor? I've looked at the WD website and found no mention of FDB's but i did notice that both Drives 36Gb & 74Gb are rated at 32db Idle and 36db Seek.

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=65

I'd like to buy 3 drives when i build my new rig in a few months time so i was thinking along the lines of 3 36G raptor drives, 2 in Rade 0 and the last as a stand alone un-raided drive for keeping important data and the windows page file. But if they dont have the new FDB's the noise would probably kill me.

Yeah, the new second generation is only available in the 74gb raptor. They're quieter, a bit faster, etc just like the reviews say. Current 36gb raptors are still the first generations.

my 36gb raptors are coming in later today and I'll be setting up the raid 0, but I don't think they'll be that loud where it'd "kill you".

heh well maybe not "kill me" per say but rather annoy.

Yeah been reading reviews looks very promising, what do u think of the 3 raptor idea, is it overkill? is it likely that the drives in Raid 0 would be very risky if i kept important data on them? more so then just having one drive with important data? Do u think i should just get 2X74Gb Raptors in Raid 0 and are "TCQ Enabled, tagged command queuing" & "Lifeguard" a real selling point?

To be honest i run two 36 gid wd raptors in a raid 0 an i only notice hd noises when i do a ton of hard drive encoding and my computer is 6 inches from me, under a desk i bet you'd barely hear it

Back