• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

spd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spd

why so cheap

why is this so cheap: $17.00

The AG 520 Watt ATX Power Supply features sufficient power and compatibility for all the latest hardware. With two SATA power connectors, ATX 2.03 and 12V 1.1 Compliance, Intel and AMD support, a dual fan design for low noise and improved reliability, and a host of built in protection circuits, this is a fully loaded power supply with a small price tag.

Features:

- (2) Built in 80mm Fans
- 2 Serial ATA Connectors
- AMD and Intel P4 Compatibility
- ATX 2.03 and 12V 1.1 Compliance
- Low Acoustic Noise
- Short Circuit Protection
- Over Voltage Protection
- Thermal Overload Cut-Off Protection Current Ratings:

Line Max Current
+3.3V 26A
+5V 52A
-5V 0.8A
+12V 28A
-12V 1.0A
+5VSB 2.5A
Specifications:

Connectors:
4-pin Peripheral Power - 4 Connectors
4-pin Floppy Drive Power - 1 Connectors
4-pin ATX 12V - 1 Connector
6-pin Aux Power - 1 Connector
Serial ATA Power - 2 Connectors

Last edited:
Hmmmmm that looks decent except for the fact of only 1 floppy power connector and 4 molex connectors mine has 8 Molex and 2 Floppy. Somebofy needs to review this supply to see how good it is.

Welcome to the forums!

The AG is most likely cheap because it uses substandard components and build quality. Anytime I see a 520w PSU for $17 I get suspicious, and when I found a closeup of the PSU's label here, the first thing I noticed was that the label does not even have a UL approval logo on it (backwards UR).

I would avoid this PSU like the plague myself, along with all other "600w for $9.99" specials. Much better to head over to Newegg and grab a Fortron/Sparkle 350w, 400w, or 530w; or one of the Antec Truepowers above 430w. The Fortrons are about the best value PSU's out there I know of at the moment, and it wouldn't surprise me to see the 350's outpowering these AG units.

i was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this brand. my current 2 rigs use antec & enermax.

i've recently puchased a new case & got this for free...
"Power up your system in style with this Real PC Power Titan Black Knight power supply! Two red LED fans keep things running cool. The Black Knight pumps out 550-watts or power and features six power leads for drives, two Serial ATA power leads and two floppy power leads! The adjustable fan speed lets you have complete control of fan speed operation. Turn it low when working with documents then turn it up when blasting through your favorite games!"
it was worth exactly that, lasted 2 days. i didn't rma it just sent computergeeks an e-mail & 10 days later another one came in the mail, no charge for anything. this one lasted less than 2 minutes & fried my floppy.
So i've had experience with both good & bad power supplies.

Real PC Power uses Powmax last I heard... close to the bottom of the PSU barrel, if not at the bottom already with Deer to keep them company.

I've had my brushes with the good and the bad myself - used to have a 250w Deer that happily killed hard drives until I bought the Channel Well in my sig a year and a half ago. These days, I research a new PSU into the ground before buying it ;)

that's funny, i've got a 500w powmax on my bench i use to test fan & neon mods. i wouldn't think of putting it in a pc.
the antec i'm using is a 400w model pp412x. the enermax is eg465p-ve. both stable is a rock. where did you buy the channel well?

Bought the CWT from www.ncix.com under the Sunny brand name - they no longer carry it. Don't worry though, you already have one... the Antec pp412x is the very same PSU - one of my main reasons for buying it. I could not afford Antec at the time, and wasn't pleased with the Enermax prices; so I did a few days of homework and decided to grab the CWT. Haven't regretted it once :)

Back