• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

disrepancies between asus a7n8x and diode readings using mbm5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skitlets

alright, heres the situation:

i am running an a7n8x deluxe pre rev. 2 board, most likely 1.04, i havnt checked, with my tbred b at 2.3 @ 1.74 volts. slk-900a with a panaflo h 92mm. with motherboard monitor 5, my diode is usually 10 degrees celcius higher than my socket. so at 32 socket, its usually ~42-44 diode. such a high difference between socket and diode okay? ambient temperature is usually at 20 celcius or so.

now, my cousin right next to me is running a barton at nearly the same speeds, nearly the same volts, only with a volcano 9 and an asus a7n8x REV 2. his temps: usually 35 socket AND 35 diode. sometimes his diode is actually cooler than his socket.

do barton diodes run cooler than tbred's?? or are the sensors between the two motherboards different and somehow one of ours is screwing up? or do volcano 9's oddly keep the diode at the same temp as the socket and slk 900's do not.

also, could my application of artic silver 5 be off? i just applied some about an hour ago after lapping the heatsink again. thin layer across the die. wasnt thick at all. good enough? i followed instructions according to the website. could that lead to the whole 10 degree difference and my cousin's zero?

Probably because the temp diode is calibrated differently. The BIOS arent an accurate picture of true temps.

If you want to know the exact temps you would need to buy a temp monitor.

Temps often vary between BIOS revision. It is not uncommon to see them to have a 15c* difference between versions.

The NF7 is especially bad about this.

Skitlet, your temps seem pretty normal, given an average cooling setup in your case.
It's your cousin's temps that are weird.
Assuming he hasn't done the mobo wall fan mod or something equivalent, his diode temp should be higher than the socket also.

I think.

Back