• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Probs with McAfee and Internet Sharing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Max47

McAfee is blocking my TCP and UDP for some reason and i have no idea why. when i disable the firewall my shared internet conection via LAN works just fine but if it is active i have file/printer sharing but no internet sharing

Here are the warning messages i get from blocked TCP's + UDP's

McAfee Firewall blocked an incoming UDP packet. The remote address associated with the traffic was 192.168.0.2. The remote port was **** [ephemeral]. The local port on your PC was ** [DNS]. The network adapter for the traffic was "Intel(R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connection".

McAfee Firewall blocked an incoming UDP packet. The remote address associated with the traffic was 69.20.1.77. The remote port was *****. The local port on your PC was *****. The network adapter for the traffic was "WAN Miniport (IP)".

McAfee Firewall blocked an incoming UDP packet. The remote address associated with the traffic was 192.168.0.1. The remote port was ****[SSDP]. The local port on your PC was ****[SSDP]. The network adapter for the traffic was "MAC Bridge
Miniport".

McAfee Firewall blocked an incoming TCP packet. The remote address associated with the traffic was 69.20.37.8. The remote port was 80 [HTTP]. The local port on your PC was 1288 [ephemeral]. The network adapter for the traffic was "WAN Miniport (IP)".

I dont know really whats going on here.. but some of them show the address's of the requested HTTP from client computer so i am assuming its allowed outbound but not letting anything incoming. In other words the client is communicating but not getting answered because its being blocked at the host computer

If anyone has any idea what to do would sure appreciate it.. this firewall is great until it comes to networking then i have this same problem all the time.. It works sometimes and then sometimes it doesnt... i have no idea why that is

can u in mcafee go to a setting and allow all incoming / outgoing traffic for all ports for the ip address for the other computer?Or some firewalls have a setting for networks, enable that.Also , I don't know if ur running behind a router or not, but u don't need mcafee anymore if the router has a firewall.

Last edited:
dkdgbroyles said:
can u in mcafee go to a setting and allow all incoming / outgoing traffic for all ports for the ip address for the other computer?Or some firewalls have a setting for networks, enable that.Also , I don't know if ur running behind a router or not, but u don't need mcafee anymore if the router has a firewall.

No not behind a router yet, im just on dial up. And all the simple settings are set right to allow internet sharing, all of my network settings are correct so no need to bring that up. McAfee has a screen that lets you select the computers to allow access to the internet, and i have my client PC set to be allowed to access, the thing is its allowing outgoing requests from the client but not incoming.

Its weird because i have had this same setup before and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but to switch from working and not working that ussually happened because of a complete format of the hard drive, i have no idea why it is doing what it's doing

I would suggest that u call ur internet provider to see what suggested settings u should have. I had that happen to me once when I had the same settings for 2 yrs and then they suggested different settings. Something about allow echo 0 and 8 and some other such thing.

Well i stumbled across something and found out what my problem was, McAfee has thing that lists the IP address' allowed to access my internet connection, the WAN Miniport (IPX) was allowed for my client PC but my other 3 [WAN Miniport (IP), MAC Bridge Miniport, and Intel Pro/1000 CT Network Card] network adapters were not, i seen my clients IP address there and assumed that it allowed all traffic for that IP address. Since one adapter was allowed that is why i was getting a limited communication, but now i got all 4 adapters allowed for my client IP address and works just fine.

Hope that helps anyone with a similar problem in the future

Back