• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IP address and Wiffi password reset question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Its easier to change your Wi-Fi password through the router than to reinstall Windows... man, you just throw money at things instead of taking the time to read the post above or google or at least ask how.

With respect, Bruce, buy a Dell or something next go around. Clearly you are not in any position to troubleshoot your PC (and that is OK!!). Buying a completed desktop with support is something you desperately need.

Lesson learned I guess. :)

Its easier to change your Wi-Fi password through the router than to reinstall Windows... man, you just throw money at things instead of taking the time to read the post above or google or at least ask how.

With respect, Bruce, buy a Dell or something next go around. Clearly you are not in any position to troubleshoot your PC (and that is OK!!). Buying a completed desktop with support is something you desperately need.

Lesson learned I guess. :)

Earthdog. Thanks for a lot of good advice in general. But you are suggesting I should buy a complete desktop with support. The answer is hell no. After I learnt how to built my first computer a few yrs ago, I refused to ever buy another factory build desktop computer. I rather try to learn to do it myself. In the pass 18 yrs since I used my computer for on line purchase and online transactions, I have always been careful and have refused to allow someone to do a remote diagnostic on my computer. But the pass Monday I let my guard down and never ever thought of a scammer at the time and allowed it to happened this way. I lost $200 to the scammer and I learnt a hard lesson for sure. I really don't know what the F I was thinking. Clearly it was my F up.

Since your last post, that really waking me up. What I mean by that. I decide to do some researching and reading and I was able to figured out how to find my IP address under Command Prompt> Ipconfig. I was able to log on the router web page and changed my wifi password. I have to reinstall Windows to wipe out everything the scammer installed on my computer. He installed a .bat file onto my PC. I believed this .bat file is to track every movement I am browsing the net. He is watching me in other words.

Earthdog. Thanks for a lot of good advice in general. But you are suggesting I should buy a complete desktop with support. The answer is hell no. After I learnt how to built my first computer a few yrs ago, I refused to ever buy another factory build desktop computer. I rather try to learn to do it myself. In the pass 18 yrs since I used my computer for on line purchase and online transactions, I have always been careful and have refused to allow someone to do a remote diagnostic on my computer. But the pass Monday I let my guard down and never ever thought of a scammer at the time and allowed it to happened this way. I lost $200 to the scammer and I learnt a hard lesson for sure. I really don't know what the F I was thinking. Clearly it was my F up.

Since your last post, that really waking me up. What I mean by that. I decide to do some researching and reading and I was able to figured out how to find my IP address under Command Prompt> Ipconfig. I was able to log on the router web page and changed my wifi password. I have to reinstall Windows to wipe out everything the scammer installed on my computer. He installed a .bat file onto my PC. I believed this .bat file is to track every movement I am browsing the net. He is watching me in other words.
I am glad you (finally) used your googlefoo to go out there and independently troubleshoot. It is an awesome skill to have, not relying on others for help in the case of PCs. Sometimes though, we all need help and that is where forums come in (to me). When I hit a wall is when I come here or other tech sites. My due diligence is spent. I still think you are Dell material though (and that isn't meant to be demeaning). You can call them up and talk shop at any time. It really feels like that would benefit you more than whatever increased felxibility you are getting from DIY. But, I digress. :)

I thought you already wiped out your OS and was waiting for someone to fix your router? I am a bit confused. You said you wiped out the OS on the 13th and was waiting for the Geek Squad? Regardless, glad you took the time to find out how to change your router PW. Hopefully you are up and running sooner rather than later.

PS - PAST is the word you are looking for I think, not pass. :)

I am glad you (finally) used your googlefoo to go out there and independently troubleshoot. It is an awesome skill to have, not relying on others for help in the case of PCs. Sometimes though, we all need help and that is where forums come in (to me). When I hit a wall is when I come here or other tech sites. My due diligence is spent. I still think you are Dell material though (and that isn't meant to be demeaning). You can call them up and talk shop at any time. It really feels like that would benefit you more than whatever increased felxibility you are getting from DIY. But, I digress. :)

I thought you already wiped out your OS and was waiting for someone to fix your router? I am a bit confused. You said you wiped out the OS on the 13th and was waiting for the Geek Squad? Regardless, glad you took the time to find out how to change your router PW. Hopefully you are up and running sooner rather than later.

PS - PAST is the word you are looking for I think, not pass. :)

Thanks for the correct spelling word. Yes I meant to write past. Any way, sorry for the confusion. I initially made an appointment with the Geek Spuad to come to my house. But after I read your last post. I then decide to do some googling and that when I was able to fixed everything myself. I called in to cancelled my appointment with the tech geek.

While you log in at your router to change your WiFi password(WPA2-PSK key with AES),
make sure no http/telnet/ssh access has been granted/enabled from WAN(internet) side.
Naturally you should also change http(browser) login password that is used for administering the router.

Back