• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need an HDTV

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madcow235

We are getting a new tv at my house and its gonna be an HDTV. I'm just wondering if you guys have any recommendations for a 1080i capable 40-48in HDTV. Speakers arent required ands tands aren't required

I dont have an HDTV yet but I have been doing quite a bit of research on them. http://www.avsforum.com/ is probably the best site on the net that talks about HDTVs. I personally like the DLP sets over LCD but there are advantages and disadvantages to both. Reading through the AVS forums you'll find many many threads comparing RP LCD and DLP in the Rear Projection Units forum and plasma displays and actual LCDs have their own forum right above.

DLP's seem to be the best out there right now for all purpose use. they only display 720p right now though(1080p chips are comming later this year)

when you say 1080i capable do you mean its able to accept a 1080i signal or display a 1080i signal?

xtrmeocr said:
DLP's seem to be the best out there right now for all purpose use. they only display 720p right now though(1080p chips are comming later this year)

when you say 1080i capable do you mean its able to accept a 1080i signal or display a 1080i signal?

My parents bought a Sony Grand WEGA 42" LCD rear projection HDTV in December, and I gotta say...that thing provides MUCH brighter and crisper image quality compared to its DLP competitors. The only downside I see is that it cannot be used as a computer monitor in the way some plasma's can. (IMO, I think the Grand WEGA has better image quality than most plasma's in its size range) However, an Xbox w/ an HD kit looks AMAZING.

The grand wega is only 14" deep, which allows you more room placement options. Our living room has a huge, old-style fireplace, so we had to keep the TV in a corner. The Grand WEGA fits the room perfectly in a corner. Here's a link with the model name and retail price.

i have to disagree, DLP's have a higher contrast ratio then LCD's.

you definitely wouldn't want to use a plasma as a computer monitor, they burn in.

For the best overall image quality, it has hard to beat a fully tweaked and tuned CRT rear projection set. CRTs have burn in issues though if you use them for gaming or have them set on high brightness and contrast ratios. However, nothing beats the contrast ratio of a CRT RPTV.

DLP would be second, with LCD being third I would say. Both have there ups and downs. DLP and LCD sets need to have the bulb replaced, and CRT sets can have the guns/tubes fail.

Flat panel Plasma is great, but make sure if your going the HDTV route that you don't get one of the lower resolution displays go in the lower price range.

For CRT sets, Mitsubishi, Hitachi and Toshiba seem to get a lot of nods..
For DLP, everyone seems to be going the Samsung or Sony route I think.
Not sure about the LCD sets. I'd rather go DLP because of the lower screen door effect they have over LCD projection sets.

Well the problem with CRT is they are HUGE and weigh a ton they also have focusing problems, without a few hundred spent on a proffesional tube alignment. DLP loks the best for me right now although i have a few months until i have to buy it.

If you're family is like mine and prefer Crt with a 4:3 aspect ratio, then you'd love our 40" wega. But if you want widescreen I would go for a 43" samsung dlp, those are sweet and only 3100.

Back