• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Convincing a stubborn friend to fold

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TalRW

My friend refuses to fold, he has a very nice computer (2.8 ghz 512 megs of RAM) and when I mentioned folding his response was "HELL NO". He doesn't want to do it because someone told him it shortens your CPU's lifespan. Anyone know any methods to convince him to fold. It makes me sick thinking of all those wasted CPU cycles that could be used to save peoples lives

well its true it does shorten the cpu life span, but your still going to get ATLEAST 8-9 years assuming its not higly overclocked, who in the right mind would be keeping a computer that old anyways..?

folding does NOT shorten cpu life. in fact it extends it.

the best thing for a computer is to be at full load all the time that is if temperatures are safe. when an electronic component cycles from cold to hot and repeats it the life of the component goes down considerably. this is also the main argument about leaving computers on 24/7 instead of shutting them down every time you are finished and firing them up when needed.

this behavior is evident in more than just electronic components also. airplanes that have more landing/takeoff cycles wear out faster. long sustained flights are best. for the same reason when you see a car advertised it may have 200,000 miles on it but the owner will say mostly highway because its long sustained use, not start and stop traffic which tears your car up.

*sigh* he still won't do it, he just keeps saying "I won't put that crap on my PC".

Although personally I'm not terrebly surprized, he doesn't really care that much about other people at all :( Gonna have to borg a few of my teachers computers to make up for it, doh

I'm in the process of trying to borg my whole school while bypassing the principal. I'm going around doing mass e-mails to the teachers because our principal is (pardon my lack of a better term that convays the same message) a ****. Most teachers are actually pretty good about it and let me put it on their computers ;) just the stupid high school kids won't do it, too selfish to think of anyone but themselves. :mad:

TalRW said:
I'm in the process of trying to borg my whole school while bypassing the principal. I'm going around doing mass e-mails to the teachers because our principal is (pardon my lack of a better term that convays the same message) a ****. Most teachers are actually pretty good about it and let me put it on their computers ;) just the stupid high school kids won't do it, too selfish to think of anyone but themselves. :mad:

i'd be very careful if i were you. going around borging PC's after/if you've already been told no, is NOT a very good idea...

Naw it's not that I haven't been told no, I just ask the teacher if I can borg their PC rather than go through the principal

Good luck,I have a friend that could almost match my output in the stats but I've tried in vane for over a year now.He thinks there has to be more to it than I'm telling him.I just cant get past his fear of the unknown,I guess for a lack of a better explaination.Some people just dont want to and no matter what they wont.He is even a member of this forums so he has acess to this info if he just took the time to look. :)

1) Find nearest hard object.
2) Sneak up and knock him out.
3) Install F@H
4) Run

:D :p

One of my room mates won't install F@H either, won't give a reason, so I just gave up...

Back