• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me build a new computer for a friend

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
Hello, fellow OCF friends!
Long time. Sorry I'm not around much!

I've got a request from a family friend of mine (stock broker), looking for me to build him two new machines again (last ones were from 2008/2009, i7 920 builds).

He's big into Intel. I'm not going to try to steer him in another direction b/c trust me... he's just going to want Intel. I have no idea what the market is like anymore. My knowledge is outdated by like 10 years, so bear with me.

I don't think $$ is a concern for him, but my sell is always the best bang for the buck. He will likely want an i7 proc. I assume Socket 1151 is where it's at now, so I was thinking:
*First two are the ones I really need your help on**
- i7 1151 (but which model is the best bang for the buck)
- Which mobo (best bang)
- 2x8GB DDR4 (best bang)
- Raid-1 SSDs (i say 256 he says 512, no idea why -- he's stubborn. he won't use the space either, just stubborn)
- Onboard video would be ok as he's just doing office work
- What PSU -- don't need anything crazy -- just need reliable and stable, maybe a good warranty
- Optical Drive?
- Windows 10 pro -- where is the best place to grab this, legit of course

I will probably use his original Antec ATX cases, but open to new cases if that's a must.
Again, no budget, but that doesn't mean it makes sense to not go for the best cost to performance ratio. That's my interest here.
Most important

Best place to grab Windows 10 is kinguin.net.

EVGA Super Nova series is an oft recommended brand around here. Since there will be no video card to power even 500 watts would be more than enough.

I7 8700k or I7 9700k

Almost any Z370 or Z390 class motherboard will work just fine or your purposes. Just get one that with a form factor that is not larger than the case you will be using. If you go with the latest greatest I7 9700k CPU then you will need a Z390 motherboard. I wouldn't spend more than $150 on the motherboard. ASRock has good value. Yes, socket 1151 is the current socket generation.

I would discourage you and your friend from going with a RAID 1 SSD setup. If you are look for backup security I would just get a good size USB external hard drive and use Macrium Reflect free version to generate disc images on a schedule. I would also do "real" backups with Windows 10 built-in backup software called "File History". It works very well. Instead of SATA SSD drives, get a good sized NVME PCI-e SSD. They give much faster bootups.

Optical drives? Kind of passe' but you can pick up any old DVD burner for around $25. If the case you choose doesn't have an external access bay then just get a USB external DVD burner. Optical drives aren't used much anymore. Flash drives have taken over.

Get whatever RAM you find a good buy on. All the name brands are very reliable. GSKill is probably the most recommended and used brand around the forum. Get at least 2400 mhz but if you want to spend more get 3200 mhz. Get 2x8 and not 4x4.

That should give you enough information to start looking. Now, do some research, make some tentative picks and we will give you more input if you post back with those tentative choices.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input!
I'm seeing only $33 for a W10 OEM key? Are my eyes deceiving me?!?!?!
https://www.kinguin.net/category/19429/windows-10-professional-oem-key/

As for the mobo, that's exactly the info I needed -- which chipset will be reliable for this build.

I do regular image backup, the the reason I wanted RAID-1 is this guy would hate to be down for a day or two just because of a HDD failure. Macrium Reflect free -- maybe I'll give that a shot ALSO. I'd been using Acronis.

Windows 10 File History -- is this file-level backup, or it'll cover an OS recovery? Never tried it.

Optical drive -- yeah I'll go with one because I know this guy. He's old school. He won't like not having one, and actually I may just leave the one that he currently has had in the system if the tray still works.

RAM -- G.Skill is usually the one I go with so thanks. I mostly wanted to know about the speed, so I'll look at the pricing on 2400 vs 3200. I did plan on 2x8 as I want to get a 4-slot mobo in case he wants a RAM upgrade in the future (I doubt it, but good to have the option).

Thanks!

File Histor = Data and settings backup, not OS and programs.

With a 9xxx Intel CPU you must go with a _390 level motherboard. With the 8xxx CPU you would want to go with the _370 chipset. "Z" class boards are the best and will afford overclocking. If you are not overclocking then you could go with B,H or N but the bios will be more limited. Even if not overclocking the Z class boards are a good way to go with i7 CPUs because their components are just more robust.

I have used Kinguin.net many times for purchasing OEM copies of Windows 10 and also OEM copies of MS Office. If they were illegal you think MS would have shut them down by now. They have been in business for several years and MS has not bothered them. MS is so zealous to get everyone on Windows 10 they are almost giving it away. Much cheaper for them than continuing to support a number of generations of operating systems. Microsoft's cash cow is no longer Windows. It is Office 365, a subscription-based product.

Last edited:
File Histor = Data and settings backup, not OS and programs.

With a 9xxx Intel CPU you must go with a _390 level motherboard. With the 8xxx CPU you would want to go with the _370 chipset. "Z" class boards are the best and will afford overclocking. If you are not overclocking then you could go with B,H or N but the bios will be more limited. Even if not overclocking the Z class boards are a good way to go with i7 CPUs because their components are just more robust.

I have used Kinguin.net many times for purchasing OEM copies of Windows 10 and also OEM copies of MS Office. If they were illegal you think MS would have shut them down by now. They have been in business for several years and MS has not bothered them. MS is so zealous to get everyone on Windows 10 they are almost giving it away. Much cheaper for them than continuing to support a number of generations of operating systems. Microsoft's cash cow is no longer Windows. It is Office 365, a subscription-based product.

Yes, you're completely right about O365. I'm a systems engineer for a VAR, and I'm seeing it way more these days. In fact, this guy I'm building these machines for I tried so hard to convince him to go to O365. He's so stubborn that he spent something like 2x $200 instead on MS packages. He said if he gets 4 years out of it, he'd be happy. I told him O365 wouldn't cost him more, but oh well... he's stubborn and I'm not going to be a jerk about it.

Thank you so much for that site for the licensing!! Huge help!!

I'll probably go with the Z370 and an 8xxx series. I'm going to compare pricing now, call him with a full estimate, and then hopefully order today. I'd love to go with NewEgg. I haven't ordered from them in a while now. I used to spend $10k or more a year with them for almost a decade (building PCs for folks and all). I used to run my own computer business. It's funny how the tides have turned and I'm the one asking the questions now. That's why I'm thankful for still being a member here!

With a 9xxx Intel CPU you must go with a _390 level motherboard. With the 8xxx CPU you would want to go with the _370 chipset.

It was my understanding you can use 9000 series in Z370 if you wanted to, and I'm not aware of any limitations in using 8000 series in Z390. The only question people had was if early Z370 boards would have the power delivery to drive an 8-core 9000 series, but if not overclocking this probably wont be a concern.

Actually, if buying new, I'm not seeing much price difference between similar Z370 and Z390 boards, so might as well get the newer :) When doing an ITX build recently Z390 was actually cheaper than Z370. I have 8350k in the Z390 board now.

I'm debating between these right now:
ASRock Z370 Pro4 LGA 1151 (300 Series)
ASRock Z390 Pro4 LGA 1151 (300 Series)

I'm also confused between i7 and i7+. Since I'm so out of touch, I wonder how I'm supposed to figure this stuff out!

Also, the RAM I'm looking at -- they all show Intel Z170 or 99 chipset. Thought DDR4 288-pin 2400 or better would suffice.

Lastly, why the 8700k over the 8700? I'm leaning towards the 8700 since it also comes with a cooler.
I'm not going to overclock at all. This is for an office machine for a stock broker.

Last edited:
OK I went with these:
Intel Core i7-8700 Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.2 GHz (4.6 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series)
ASRock Z390 Pro4 LGA 1151 (300 Series)
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)

I confirmed the RAM works with the board by going to ASRock's site.
I went with 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500gb because I wasn't sure if I could easily Raid-1 with the M2 slots, and not sure if the performance gain was that massive. I'm quite familiar with SATA so I just stuck it out with that.
I have a brand new eVGA 450W PSU I'm going to use. Seems like it should be sufficient.

Also, thanks trents, I'm going to try out that site as I also need an Office 2016 Home and Business key.
Should I get that extra protection for $6?

Thanks for the help, guys!

Last edited:
It needs to be said that if someone is going to put a 9xxx CPU in a Z370 motherboard you may first have to have an 8xxx CPU to update the bios. When you buy a motherboard retail you have no way of knowing how long it's been on the shelf or if it has an early or a recent bios. I certainly would not take that chance. g0d@man, that's for future reference if you build another machine using a CPU that is a generation older than the motherboard. I realize you have already made your purchases and that is not an issue in this case.
- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Just be aware that with the OEM keys from Kinguin.net you may have to use the MS automated activation phone service. The folks at Kinguin are very helpful if you need assistance with finding the download site, etc. I certainly would pay the extra $6 for the protection service. Compared to what you are saving it's peanuts.

Looks like you made some sound hardware choices. Does the CPU come boxed with a cooler? Not sure Intel includes the cooler on those higher end 8xxx CPUs. Better check on that.

Last edited:
Absolutely. If you are going 8 series, get Z370 or be prepared to flash with a 8 series CPU before you put in the 9th series. I surely wouldn't expect a shelved Z370 board to have the latest BIOS on it. :)

It needs to be said that if someone is going to put a 9xxx CPU in a Z370 motherboard you may first have to have an 8xxx CPU to update the bios. When you buy a motherboard retail you have no way of knowing how long it's been on the shelf or if it has an early or a recent bios. I certainly would not take that chance. g0d@man, that's for future reference if you build another machine using a CPU that is a generation older than the motherboard. I realize you have already made your purchases and that is not an issue in this case.
- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Just be aware that with the OEM keys from Kinguin.net you may have to use the MS automated activation phone service. The folks at Kinguin are very helpful if you need assistance with finding the download site, etc. I certainly would pay the extra $6 for the protection service. Compared to what you are saving it's peanuts.

Looks like you made some sound hardware choices. Does the CPU come boxed with a cooler? Not sure Intel includes the cooler on those higher end 8xxx CPUs. Better check on that.

Yes sir it comes with a cooler!
And yes I'm aware of CPU series vs older chipset -- I actually had forgotten, but as I'm getting the latest chipset I don't see an issue (phew!).
Excited to get this MS office license activated for that price!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the help, guys! I'll report back once it's all put together.

So now my buddy wants a new case!!
There's a lot of nice ones by Antec, NZXT and Fractal Design -- any good buys you guys can recommend?

Individual tastes vary so much when it comes to what people are looking for in cases. Does it matter if it's super quiet? Does he want lights and flashing or not? Does he want small or does that matter to him? Expandability? Glass panes to see the guts or solid panels? Boxy or curvy? Tower or cube? You know him better than we do.

OK I took a look.
I went with this since it's for an office, and personally I HATE the front door. I'm sure he would have also:
LIAN LI PC-7HB

OK I took a look.
I went with this since it's for an office, and personally I HATE the front door. I'm sure he would have also:
LIAN LI PC-7HB

I like it. Clean lines. Solid looking. Good company. A little on the big side for a mid tower but if he has room not an issue and that will make it easier to install stuff.

Got the desktop running like a boss. Just wanted to say thanks everyone for the input!!
I ended up buying a TPM chip. I didn't know motherboard's have those as OPTIONAL. He needs bitlocker, so I figured the TPM chip was the right way to do it, and that was a breeze.

This machine FLIES!
SSDs in Raid-1. Intel's latest gen i7. 16GB DDR4.

Brings back memories for me. I used to upgrade my desktop parts every 2-6 months, constantly... did that for about 10 years and after my son was born I stopped.

Huh! I thought all motherboards these days had TPM built in and I certainly didn't know it was an optional add on module. Learn something knew every day! I wonder if that is in response to Spectre and Meltdown.

I'm shocked the new stuff isn't TPM. DId you try enabling it through windows before you purchased the module?

Back