• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$100, what would you upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NiTrO bOiE

Here's the system I plan on building for my birthday. The total is $500 right on the money. (if newegg doesn't change prices again)

DFI nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "NFII ULTRA INFINITY" -RETAIL
$94.00

SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9600PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP -BULK
$132.00

AMD Mobile Athlon XP 2400+, 266FSB, 512K Cache - OEM
$77.00

OCZ Performance Series 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200
$98.00

Seagate 120GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model ST3120026AS, OEM
$98.50

Subtotal » $ 499.50

My question is... just incase I get $100 extra what should I upgrade? Should I double the memory? (1GB) Should I get another 120GB and run RAID? Should I get a better video card? Better PSU? (the one I have now is ok, but is kinda on the so-so side) Should I get more waterblocks? (video, northbridge) Or should I just save it and wait until later to spend it?

Id save it, but if you really want to spend it, id probably up grade video card or ram. Ive heard best buy has 9800 pros for $200.

KaHNZa said:
The Sapphire Radeon 9800Pro should be ~$210 at newegg right now. Its only $78 more than your listed card. ;)

I agree with that but if you really want to change something else I'd go with the Ultra B DFI mobo.

Its a toss up if you ask me.

I would either go with a nicer video card, or more RAM.

If you can't decide, either do both, or flip a coin.

if you plan on playing a lot of games go with the 9800pro.. if you do any thing like photoshop get the ram.. if you just want faster boot time and app loads go with the raid.. i love raid make every think feel much faster in raid 0...

Question for You

You didn't tell us what you planned on doing with the computer.
It would really help us when we try to provide you specific information. If you gamne quite a bit it would definatly be worth upgrading the vid card to the 9800 pro.

Re: Question for You

CeeDeeJay said:
You didn't tell us what you planned on doing with the computer.
It would really help us when we try to provide you specific information.
That's exactly what I was going to say.

If you're gaming, get a better video card.
If you're editing video, get more memory.
If you're word processing, get second video card and moniter.
An ergonomic keyboard and Ratzpad is nice for anything.

It's funny how you ask what should you get for 100$ and every one keeps giving you things more than that?

It would help a lot to know your intentions of the use of this pc.

What about a sound card?

I plan to mostly game on it. All of my upgrade choices would improve gaming so that's why it's kind of a hard choice for me to choose. Oh yeah, and for sound card. I have a spare SB Live card and it sounds fine to me, but I might just get an Audigy and get a waterblock for the video card.

Fire58Mech said:
It's funny how you ask what should you get for 100$ and every one keeps giving you things more than that?

That may be because they're upgrading something that was already planned on ;)

I'd upgrade the video card. The chip is fine... and can be oc'd if you need more. Ram is enough for most all games today (I ran BF1942 fine with 512mb). Motherboards are always a good place to splurge.

Up to you.

I would do Ram or the Video card...... but I would do the video card on the initial build and go with the 9800 pro and here is why. Ram is upgradable, you can always upgrade later if you fall into some more $$, but if you have the $$ to spend then start off with the 9800 pro, that way if you ever decided you want a different video card, you dont have to go through the trouble of selling your old one or just having it sit around. You can always buy more ram later.

I'd probably save that $100 for a couple new games or for unforeseen issues, like when your power supply wets the bed or an overclock goes terribly wrong and you fry a processor. That's when that extra money is really going to come in useful.

Ken

Spidie2000 said:
I would do Ram or the Video card...... but I would do the video card on the initial build and go with the 9800 pro and here is why. Ram is upgradable, you can always upgrade later if you fall into some more $$, but if you have the $$ to spend then start off with the 9800 pro, that way if you ever decided you want a different video card, you dont have to go through the trouble of selling your old one or just having it sit around. You can always buy more ram later.

Cool, I just checked the prices on newegg between the 9600 Pro and the 9800 Pro and it's only ~70 so I'll go with the 9800 incase I get teh bonus. My b-day was yesterday and my dad asked me what I wanted but I told him I didn't know yet (stupid me), so now I'll just wait until he asks me again (probably this weekend since he's outta town right now).

Back