• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wanting to upgrade, what can I expect?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So, this is then by all accounts the greatest steal of all time ($69.99 after rebate), I mean this sucker is the Focus+ AND 850W AND fully modular! : https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817151188

I know I don't "need" 850 but who knows, I may buy more video cards in the future, and if we're talking just $5 difference, why not get the 850 right! Let me know about the one above, I know you all love that or EVGA, but that price seems incredible to me, since you say the TX from Corsair is not up to the same standard!

To be clear, no prices come even close to the above Seasonic Focus+ 850, an equivalent EVGA is more than $50 on top of the price, the Corsair is the same price but apparently not as good (in fact, it's still $20 more since the Focus has the $20 rebate now from $89.99)

That's a good deal. 10 year warranty gives you an idea what the manufacturer thinks of the product, too. $70 after rebate is something I'd consider spending just to have a good quality spare laying around.

Hello. Before Intel fanboys attack, just want to let you know, I am a huge AMD fanboy, been one since what, I refused to get the Pentium 90 and got my first AMD chip way back in the 90s, so not likely to switch back.

Secondly, I like that AMD chips are somewhat connected to "ATI" cards, I have no intention of going to NVIDIA (although I have in the past and do like them, I just prefer AMD).

So anyway, my current setup is in the signature below. I want to keep my video card for now, and I want to keep the PSU (I believe it's enough, but I would consider switching if really needed, or if it's not up to par)

I play games, but mostly I do a lot of video encoding into HEVC and my current setup is so slow it takes 24 hours to do a good job on a 10GB to 1GB encode from Bluray to HEVC in high Handbreak settings.

So, is it worth it to upgrade to something like a 2700 or 2700X? Or even a 2600X?
Is it even worth upgrading since my cpu is already 8 core (games run real nice already, what more can I expect?). Some people say it's day and night but in what way exactly, since I don't seem to notice real slow stuff on my system now.

Any info on the above would be highly appreciated, I will monitor and answer any questions or comments so that I can get somewhere.

Thank you.

I was looking for benchmarks using Bluray to HEVC . Here is a review I found with some ryzens vs fx 8370 . In blender and Cinebench at least the Ryzens walk way from the FX lineup

https://us.hardware.info/reviews/78...s-video-and-audio-encoding-x264-x265-and-flac

Worth can only be decided by you . Anything new is a decent upgrade . Already having a 8 core should not be something to get hung up on it can be argued that it doesn't really . Its single core performance was also lacking even at release not to mention now .

I ran Cinebench on a FX 8370 and I think I scored 650. My Skylake runs 1049-1050. I think I've seen some first gen Ryzens here at OCF score 1100+. First. Gen. Those chips are productivity beasts if you're running software or tasks that can take advantage of SMT. AMD has always had a good grip on multi threading, and really outdid themselves with the Zen architecture.

Wow, thanks for all that. Definitely the Ryzen is a worthy successor to the FX8150 that I have, I have no doubt of that, so it's on my list. The only decision is which one now. I know I want 8 core, so at the very least it's the 1700 and the best the 2700x (is there an advantage to getting a 2800 non x as opposed to a 2700x which I will overclock with water?)

About PSU, see, here is my problem, I'm in Canada. The $69.99 for the Focus+ is of course in the US only. I just found it on amazon.ca and it's $170!!! wtf!! It's really bad living here if you're an enthusiast!

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ...-850FX&cm_re=SSR-850FX-_-17-151-188-_-Product

This is the PSU I will get, it's $25 off so it's $125 after rebate, still double the price of the same PSU at newegg.com. Unbeliavable.

I have never bought from the US so I don't know how that works, paying the "border tax" (NAFTA really did suck).

I know there is a new deal now that will allow us Canadians to buy up to $150 before we have to pay customs, but don't know when this goes into effect. I hope it's soon and I hope it includes online merchants, amazon.ca will not see me as often as I will migrate to amazon.com

I was in the same boat as you but I was coming from a 6700k. I would pick up a 1700x and ride that until the release of the new Ryzens. The preformance gain of the 2700,2700x is not worth the increased cost. When the 3XXX launch you will still be able to get a large chunk of cash back from the 1700x and then pick up something better.

Also I hate Asrock boards. Used some before total trash won't touch another. I had the Strix x470 and it was great but had major issues with the bios settings not saving and the bios freezing and then one day the USB 3.0 stopped working. I replaced that with a gigabyte gaming 7 and way better. Gained 75mhz on the CPU and went from 3200 on the ram to 3372. Bios is meh. Wish it had more options but it's goes what you really need and it is one hell of a board. For Asus I would only get a crosshair and even then it would be a tough call because Asus qc is pretty much on par with what you expect from the Chinese made smart watch manufacturers. I assume the crosshair would have a bit better qc but it's Asus so they prob cut that to add some l337 gamerz silk screen to something. Who knows. But Asrock I won't even look at. Used one board that had a trace vaporize on the board and almost caught my house on fire. Asrock just did not even care. So my go to brands are Gigabyte but the only x470 I would get from them is the Gaming 7. I don't like the rest or MSI. I like the carbon.

Hey guys just a little update and question..

So, I have decided to upgrade the whole system, meaning buying all new parts (case, psu, mobo, mem, cpu, m.2), and selling my current system with my old 24" monitor and my 2xGTX580s in it (so I can keep my RX580 for the new system).

THat seems to be the best idea since my old parts usually just end up sitting in my closet for years, this way the whole system can be sold with a 512gb ssd drive, I'm sure some lucky soul will be very happy with my system in the sig (minus the storage)

But I need one question answered, I can't find anything on this. Is it really worth it to spend so much extra on an 2700x? Since I want to go with water cooling solution, I'm thinking the 2700 is plenty, if I can get it at least to 2700x speeds, but even more, why not. I see that the two cpu's are identical except for stock speed/turbo speed, and of course binning, but I'm sure the $200 price difference is not worth it.

I have a certain budget, like $800CAD for case ($80), mobo ($150), cpu (???), m.2 ($150), ram ($120) and PSU ($100), and eventually water ($100?) and there's no way I can do that in Canada with the 2700x which is half that budget all by itself.

If anyone has a link of a 2700 overclocked with stock cooling against a stock 2700x, I would love to see that, or anything similar. Any any opinions of course!

The general consensus I've seen here and on the web is buy a 2700 and OC. The extra money for the 2700x amounts to a convenience fee for those unable or unwilling to OC, and OC'ing yourself will allow your clocks to be on all cores. That should net you better performance than a stock 2700x would give you.

Just FYI, the x version is over $150 more than the non x here in canada. Indeed if it was a $40 it wouldn't even be a question.

That being said, I won't be upgrading until March and man, the leaks about the 3000 series is crazy, the Ryzen 5 will now have 8 cores with a higher clock than the 2700x,which is highly impressive. If it's a similar price point, I'll have to really think about it.

Alaric I receive : HTTP 404. When I click on your link.

Basically it's on par with a 9900k in cinabench why taking much less power. 8c 16t. They showed off what looks to be a very early prototype. CPU without the ihs definitely is hitting at another chiplet so 16c 32t. Looks good just disappointed they didn't talk clocks. But looks good. I'm just curious about how much left will be in the tank for overclocking and what those stock clocks were. But by the looks of it. Looks like they showed off a Ryzen 5 what would be pretty impressive.

Back