• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel to release a model rating system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Actaully makes more sense than AMD's PR rating system.
EX.
celeron 2.4 < P4a 2.4
P4a 2.4 < P4b 2.4
P4b 2.4 < P4c 2.4
P4c 2.4 > Prescott 2.4

Maybe they should base ratings on the celeron chip making a P4c 3.0 a 4000+

devvingiorgio said:
death to intel ! (only cuz I hold AMD stock :)

same here, I think im up to 10.81 shares LOL.

I think its just Intel's way of trying to keep their mgz scheme going, along with trying to confuse consumers. For example, A p4 2.4c would be called, for instance, a P4 4500C+. Thats only going to make P4's mhz seem faster than it already is. Basically they are trying to name em to make mhz seem higher and thus get the confused customers.

I also loved this.

"AMD switched to a model-numbering scheme in late 2001. The model numbers developed for its Athlon XP, such as 2500+ or 3000+, reflect the each chip's performance compared with older chips in the Athlon family, the company has said. AMD uses similar numbers for its newer Athlon 64 range, which has a a 3400+ model that runs at 2.2GHz and has 1MB of cache. "

All the Intel guys always try to tell me that the 2500+ means its supposed to run faster than an intel P4 2.5ghz, WRONG heheh.

Not like its a PR system.

Intel just wants to make its high end offerings look better with a bogus three tier model number system. The high end stuff performs marginally better and costs a lot more so they want to mislead people into thinking they perform much better by calling them the 700 series vs. the 500 or 300 series.

Pretty lame IMO. A universal PR system would have been more useful, but that isn't going to make them money.

This might not be so great for the "regular" customer but for us overclockers and/or pc freaks it doesn't really matter I think.
Because we're out for quality and oc ability so I don't care if it's rated 0.00001+ or 5465416+ :)

--Cereal

It's too early to tell the implecations, but personally, I think this could prove to be huge news. It's pretty obvious that Intel has designed the entire P4 from the ground up on the basis that mhz were the most important thing. For Intel to suddenly downplay mhz in favor of performance sends some serious shockwaves thru many of the company's departments -not the least of which includes R&D.

Back