• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Location for Water Cooling a Wavemaster

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gokdog

Registered
I already have a Wavemaster and am going to try and run a custom water cooling (First Water cooling attempt). I was thinking of either mounting the radiator in the front intake area with something like a Black Ice Micro II setup, does anyone use a setup similar to this, that would have to fit where the 2 fans in the pic reside:

tnDSC02073.JPG

Would the BIM 2 fit in that slot? or maybe another 80mm solution x 2?

If that does not work, I was thinking of mounting a Black Ice Extreme or equivilant 120MM setup in the top of the case, in front of the USB connector hole.

Would anyone have any experience water cooling with this case and the optimum location for installation and or any other ideas for this case.

First time post, please be gentle :)

Well I think from the rigs I have found with this case, I have decided to mount up top, but if i do that, how many 5 1/4 bays do I now have that are unusable? 2?

Also thinking of using a vertically mounted aqua tube, in the USB hole, found one case that was done this way and it looked really nice.
at_titan_200.jpg

BTW it is stupid question part 2 today, I really want to do all the work on this one myself, and learn more about modding. I want to cut a 120 MM hole in front of the USB Housing, do they have a 120MM hole saw? or would I use a standard US size that is roughly the same?

gokdog said:
Well I think from the rigs I have found with this case, I have decided to mount up top, but if i do that, how many 5 1/4 bays do I now have that are unusable? 2?

Also thinking of using a vertically mounted aqua tube, in the USB hole, found one case that was done this way and it looked really nice.
at_titan_200.jpg

BTW it is stupid question part 2 today, I really want to do all the work on this one myself, and learn more about modding. I want to cut a 120 MM hole in front of the USB Housing, do they have a 120MM hole saw? or would I use a standard US size that is roughly the same?

You'll most likely lose 2 slots, depending on ypur rad and fan. That doesn't mean you won't be able to put a couple of hard drives up there though.

I think the Jr would fit up front or the Black Ice Extreme, gonna do something along the lines of this:

rad_first_fit.jpg

I found this guy in the UK who did something very similar to what I want to do, link is here:

http://modtown.co.uk/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=25&t=2900

Will end up looking something like this but in black, and hopefully with some chrome:

aqua_tube.jpg

I am leaning toward the BI Extreme and the mounting of the Aqua Tube in the USB slots, but Would really like to use that front bezel, maybe I can dremel away some of the grill area and fit a Black Ice Micro 2 in there with decent air flow, and somehow hide the mess with that font piece of aluminum.

Oh well, I am seriously looking forward to this and am gonna take my time since the system components likely wont be in stock til May, got the case already, gonna buy the water stuff this month and experiment with it.

I believe the Jr is 5.5 inches wide, so it would not fit in the 5.25 inch bay would it not? What rad is that anyways? I dotn think I would cut a hole in my wavemaster...

The one pictured is a black ice extreme....

I am actually thinking of building an acrylic or wooden enclosure in leau of cutting up the top of the case, I could still use the USB enclosure to route the tubing. I really do not want to lose those 2 5 1/4 slots from mounting the rad up top.

Anyone else have any other solutions?

If I do build the enclosure up top, I would be able to use a bigger radiator, Pump and resevoir and even include some sound dampening. The only negative would be the distance from the enclosure to the CPU ect ect ect....

Since I am new to water and was only going to initially cool the CPU with water, does the distance pose any kind of performance Hit? If I did eventually want to cool the video and motherboard chip, would I need a second cooling line from above or would I use a T connector and run them from component to component in series without a performance hit?

deathBOB said:
I believe the Jr is 5.5 inches wide, so it would not fit in the 5.25 inch bay would it not? What rad is that anyways? I dotn think I would cut a hole in my wavemaster...

a 5.25" bay is actually about 5.75" wide (measure it if you don't believe me ;))
the 5.25" refers to the old 5.25" floppy disks (which you're probably too young to remember), whose drives the standard was made for - not the width of the bay ...

Very cool! Tha means I could fit a Jr partially into the top drive bay so I do not have to cut the PSU holder... Do you think the replacement blowhole thingy that come with the wavemaster is big enough so that I can just put a 120mm on the rad and exhaust it through that thing?

Back