• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heater core Fan stopped!!1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FatRabbit

Registered
When I got home today I got a shocking surprise. My 120 Panaflo L1A that was the only fan on my heater core wasn’t running. :eek: I hurried to see what effects it had caused on my system (expecting split tubes and coolant frying everything). Much to my relief nothing but a 3c higher temp then normal and that’s with 2 instances of folding running! The CPU is a 2.4c at 1.6v. I was pretty freaked out because this is my first water cooling setup and didn't know what to expect.

I have 2x80mm in the rear at 5v and a 120mm on top at 5v. No intake fans other then the Panaflo at the front intake where the heater core is. My Guess is that my "negative case pressure" was passively cooling the heater core. So I feel much better now knowing that everything is ok, and knowing that i could run with on less fan in my computer. :D

fr_intake1.jpg

fr_side1.jpg

thanks for the hosting.

Last edited:
This is one thing I like about dual fan radiators and such. If one fan fails, you're good to go running on 2 fans.

Glad to hear everything was alright though.

Yeah my fan failed due to my poor job at wiring due to lack of electrical tape. I was meaning to fix that.:rolleyes:

I have been wanting to get a duel fan radiator but the case i have is just too small, an Enlight EN-7237. When i got the case i had no idea that water cooling would eventually be in it. in fact it is my first case, I'm so proud of it.

I'm just asking for trouble. If my fan quits while I'm asleep or whatever, I think my computer is pretty much screwed. No other case fans except on on the front blowing on my raid array (above heatercore) and my temperature controlled PSU (which runs very slowly).

EDIT: You got hosting info... :D

Last edited:
My Guess is that my "negative case pressure" was passively cooling the heater core

umm.. no.. more like the radiator gave it's heat off to the case it was attached to...

Last edited:
iNSiGMA said:

umm.. no.. more like the radiator gave it's heat off to the case it was attached to...

There were two fans in the rear exhasting causing negative pressure inside the case. Air was pulled through the radiator and then through the case and then out the back. What he said was 100% correct :D.

Last edited:
Thanks, it’s made out of sheetmetal. Has a slight texture to it. I’ll see if I can get a my hands on a dig camera tomorrow and go more in depth of how it's mounted and such.

Got the idea from this article. modified slightly for mounting purposes.

Oh ill sneak a pic in of my new Lego hard drive suspension rack.

Back