• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Magnet cooling...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
haha ".5 to 2C for every tesla" a tesla being 20,000 times the earth's magnetic field. To cool you're computer you'd need the hugest magnets and wait....you'd kill your computer haha lol

EDIT: nice innovative thinkin man ;)

Would this work when solid state hard drives become more common and floppy drives become history as there are no other parts really effected apart from the monitor

No reason you need to put the magnetic cooling system on top of a hard drive. An external box would work well with a duct for air.

Enclosing a magnet with a shell of metal is a very effective way of blocking magnetic fields. I wouldn't consider it a problem.

What would be a problem is the rather low rate of cooling it will provide. If it is similar at all to the performance of a normal compresser, it will not be able to generate 100 watts of cooling power.

That and I don't think it's past the experimental stage yet.

Neat tech though.

MuMetal would block the fields, but I don't remember how easy or cheap it is to get such things... at least i believe they are called mumetals.

Easy. Simple steel sheet metal will work. That and a little distance is all you need.

I have some magnets that can crush BONES if you manage to get a finger between two of them. Put in a steel box they can't pick up a paperclip from six inches away.

Magnetic force drops off at the cube of the distance. What that means if it can be very strong at the surface of the magnet, but it gets weak FAST as you get further away from it.

I would assume any comercial system is going to be well sheilded anyway.

And it will be years before we see anything, if ever. They have made prototypes but teh jury is still out on if they can get it to perform at the tempatures needed and if it will be cost effective. No use trying to sell them if they work great but cost $12,000.

Hmm...it does not seem like it is a very effective cooling solution, only .5 to 2C per tesla, and to cool a 120+ thermal watt CPU, it would take ALOT of magnets, or really strong magnets, or whatever, lets just say alot of magnatizing power :D It would be much more effective and probably cheaper to just get a pelt or even a chilled watercooling setup.

Nice thinking though!

-0cer
:cool:

Not to discourage you , nice thinking . You have the mind of a physicist or overcrazed overclocker.

Magnetic cooling is reserved for low temperature and vaccum pressure cyrogenic work where it is practical . Usually to achieve the high T fields needed you are using supercooled superconducing magetics. Practicality would said bypass the magnetic cooling and use the low temp cooling system you would have on your PC. This is of course unless you think of another to do this .

Agreed - not very practical. In some of the labs at school we have machines that generate large fields. One of them does 5 Tesla (I don't know if there is anything more powerful in the building, or campus for that matter) and the thing is about the size of a large desk, and requires liquid helium cooling.

I actualy read about this in my science book one day. Atleast i think it was this. It was like a giant centerfuge that spun the magnets around EXTREMELY FAST so they cooled off and heated up fast. It could cool to near absolute zero but it used expensive crystally things.

Back