• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PIII 650E@806 temp ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AdeRorthais

Registered
Hello you all !
I OCed my PIII 650E@806 (the ram at 133 allows to take it up to 866 [worth the risk ?]) and everything seems to work fine...
But I wonder which temperature my cpu should not go above ? Seems like the temp get high while playing (heavy) 3D games: I mean around 60-65°C, is it worth worrying about this ? When I quit the game, it instantly goes down to 40-42°C...
The cpu is cooled by dual 4200rpm fans plus two case fans blowing directly on it.
I'd much appreciate your help about this !

AdeRorthais said:
Hello you all !
I OCed my PIII 650E@806 (the ram at 133 allows to take it up to 866 [worth the risk ?]) and everything seems to work fine...
But I wonder which temperature my cpu should not go above ? Seems like the temp get high while playing (heavy) 3D games: I mean around 60-65°C, is it worth worrying about this ? When I quit the game, it instantly goes down to 40-42°C...
The cpu is cooled by dual 4200rpm fans plus two case fans blowing directly on it.
I'd much appreciate your help about this !

woah woah woah slow down there cowboy!!
60-65C temps? you tryin to kill that thing
a good work temp is in the 40Cs (IE Gaming) and a good idle temp is anything below 40C

so you need to throttle back on the overclock until you can get some better cooling!

60c is way too much! Like already mentioned, you need better cooling to get rid of some of that heat.

You should get a better heatsink and fan combo, along with some thermal grease (Arctic Silver II is expensive, but on of the best there is). Apply only a paper thin layer of the grease onto the cpu core (Apply with the edge of a razor blade or something like that - don't use your fingers, the "oil" on your fingers won't help transfering heat!)

A lot of fans don't help if the heatsink itself isn't good enough. It is always worth looking into. Is it a FC-PGA CPU you have? If it is, the Global Win FOP32 is cheap, and fairly good at cooling.

Good luck with it! :)

Check the hompage for some cooling guides... merely blowing air on the chip isn't usually enough... case fan / exhaust techniques can be critical in keeping your... cool... :cool:

Pinky said:
Check the hompage for some cooling guides... merely blowing air on the chip isn't usually enough... case fan / exhaust techniques can be critical in keeping your... cool... :cool:

AHAHAHAH LOL ROTFLMAO!!! AHAHAH PINKY YOU CRACK ME UP!!!!

These guys are all rite.

Under full load gaming ect ect your temps should not get above 40C also when you overclock your CPU can get tempermental about heat if mine even gets to 35C it will lock up if your just going to overclock a little or your happy where your at you should still get your temps down. remember you need good case cooling if your going to get your CPU cool, even getting a fan in the upper rear of your case will help make sure its blowing cool air in the case towards your HSF [heatsinkfan] and it would be also good if you had another case fan in the front of your PC blowing the hotter air out. Its roughly only 25 bucks for a good HSF and it will really help as far as if you you should go higher the answer is definatly YES you should try to take it as high as it will function without problems but as everyone said get your temps down first and enjoy.

Please Post in the correct forum temps above 60C go in the AMD CPU forum ;-)

I have a p3600e at 800 and after hours of UT it is only about 40C.

To EL, and anyone else

No EL, my CPU is a real P///650E Slot1.

Do anyone know of a real good cooling kit STILL AVAILABLE on the net for my CPU ?
I would much appreciate any link or advice.

Newbie_Doo said:

Endeavor...Pinky is right. Case airflow is just as important in order to rid the system of the waste heat. Ease up.

Anthony

i was laughing at his joke about keepin your cool

Try e.g. Thermaltake Volcano II. On my former p3 - 650@930 i never got temperature higher that 50 Celsius. More than 60 'C I 've achived with p3 1GHz@1,33GHz :)

check out the Cyber deals forum theres always good buys in there. If your going with air cooling which is fine for Intel [and i recommend going with aircooling] then get one of the new copper HSF's as there about the top of the line rite now and some are around 20 dollars US.

Re: To EL, and anyone else

AdeRorthais said:
No EL, my CPU is a real P///650E Slot1.

Do anyone know of a real good cooling kit STILL AVAILABLE on the net for my CPU ?
I would much appreciate any link or advice.
I'm using a 700Mhz PIII Slot 1. I would highly recommend getting a GlobalWin VOS32. They cost around $30 US. Be warned though, these are huge. If your mobo has its mem slots too close to the cpu slot, you'll more than likely curse this thing! On the other hand, you may not need that slot closest to your processor. Do a search on the VOS32, it's bound to turn up 10 or 15 sites that offer it. I think I found mine on the Pricewatch search page. I'd give you a link to the online vendor but I seem to recall that being illegal in this forum. Not a bad policy since that would be advertising. Check it out, let us know what you find.

GlobalWin Vos32+

Hi, you all !

I should get the Vos32+ tonight; can't wait to install it !
I'll tell you what I can get with its help. Hope to push the CPU @866 (650e slot1 original) or even higher...

Re: GlobalWin Vos32+

AdeRorthais said:
Hi, you all !

I should get the Vos32+ tonight; can't wait to install it !
I'll tell you what I can get with its help. Hope to push the CPU @866 (650e slot1 original) or even higher...
Really Good Luck, read you leater :D

I think you all forgot one thing.......
He's using a P3V4X (so am I) and with those boards temps go up and down, I got 91C by surfing the web and yesterday (after I installed a new version of MBM5) temps dropped to 4C yeah sure......I'm using a PEP66 no water cooling, peltiers no nothing.

Those boards are lying I'm tellin ya.

Thanx KILLorBE !

Thank you KILLorBE,

I knew that I read this about the P3V4X lying on temps reading, but couldn't remember where.... do you know the reason why ? Is there a hardware trick to get a right temp reading ? What does MBM5 to be more trustful ?
I going to install the Vos32+ anyway 'cos it can't worsen things, on the contrary I'll be able to push the CPU a little more and won't worry anymore (I guess...)

Thank you ! I going to search the net further about the P3V4X temp reading.

Well, I suppose that the prob depends by the thermal sensor on the Mobo, and infact Mbm read only the Mobo sensors, so to be sure about your Cpu temps I suggest you to use an external thermal sensor, without the metal clip, inserted between the chip & the Hs.

I hope it helps you ;)

Back