• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Caught on fire!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

axlecrusher

I had just gotten done putting my computer back together from a slight mod. I plugged everything in and turned it on. Almost immediately smoke came billowing out of the case. Quickly thinking “Oh S**t!!” I turned off the power supply. Something had definitely caught on fire. After looking around in the case I discovered it was the power cable to the floppy drive. I had unknowingly connected it wrong, missed one pin, too far over. It was completely destroyed. I had to cut the cable off right before the previous molex. I just laughed it off. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• melted1.jpg
    melted1.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 284
And here is the mod. A black screen over the front fans.

Attachments

• casefront_small.jpg
    casefront_small.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 282
Oh I forgot to mention the computer still works fine. And the fans were on when the pictures of them were taken.

Axle

That fan cover is cool. I like the off center look of the two fans and the slightly unbalanced image of the large fan and smaller fan. It give a nice look to what would have been another boring symmetrical case bezel.

Oh and I'm glad nothing was seriously damaged. :)

Stee said:
aw man, hows the floppy drive? :(

I assume it is broken. The power cable is stuck on it now. Not to mention I made a big short in the drive. And yes I am very lucky, I don't know why the PSU didn't turn off, usually it does with a short. All is good except for the floppy.

Axle

Or you could have let her burn (I know it'd be tough) and collected the insurance money and built BIGGER, BETTER computer :)

Back