• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell Has/Had AMD In Stock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cowboy X

This is very interesting , Dell has been caught with AMD parts in stock and may now be rapidly covering their tracks . I just saw this on [H]'s front page .

" HELL FROZEN:
ADVANCED MICRO DEVICES OPTERON - 148 UP; 64BIT CPU; 2.2GHZ; $869.47; Usually Ships: 5-7 Days.

Dell Part# A0297790

It seems as though this is now a dead link.

Thanks to Steven Black for the link. "

" HELL FROZEN II:
More AMD products are scouted on Dell's website. An AthlonXP 3200+ Barton core CPU turns up as well as a Shuttle SFF system. Thanks Matthew Quon!

UPDATE: It seems as if the Opteron linked below at Dell's site has been removed this afternoon. So as a follow-up just in case the two links above meet an early demise, here are a couple of screen captures of the products. "

http://hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTA4MDE1NTg3OWlBcmh6cUZDVHlfMV8xX2wuZ2lm
http://hardocp.com/images/news/1080155879iArhzqFCTy_1_2.gif

There are two other updates but I've done enough copy 'n pasting , go have a look .

LOL, I think they want to sell amd cpu's, because they could make more profit, but they are being blackmailed by intel.

i heard from somewhere cant remmember but , intel was paying dell i think it was close to a few million $ to only sell intel CPU's
~~~ not sure on if or how much if its true , maybe someone here has more to add to it

It may not be a payout in straight cash but some large discounts on ahrdware allowing the sometimes ridiculously cheap deals Dell seems to be able to afford so often .

Ya that sounds more reasonable for them to give them deals on there chips for only selling there brand

but i think its a good idea for them to carry both , give ppl more options when bying a pc

You know when I read stuff like this it makes me laugh and the X files theme is playing softly in my head ;)

Everyone knows that Dell and Intel have a deal which means that Intels helps pay for Dells marketing costs - nothing underhand in it - its called good customer relationship plus it makes switching to other suppliers i.e. AMD that much harder to do.

I think that is a incomplete (and perhaps naive) view of the situation. In addition to other business benefits, Intel makes Dell prices on cpus and chipsets that smaller concerns cannot hope to realize. At one point in time, when Dell was buying the motherboards from Intel as well, packages including motherboard, cpu, and sometimes ram were made available to them at unbelievable rates. Later Dell went to purchasing the motherboards directly from Foxconn, and I believe they sub out their motherboard and graphics card business to MSI these days. But they still get pricing and availability on cpus and chipsets that is a direct competitve advantage.

Sentential said:

LOTS and LOTS of $$$$$$$$$

lol, funny, but that isn't blackmail...

Unless Dell is counterfiting $$$ and Intel is threatening to turn them in for it.

Blackmail is probably not the best term to discribe the Dell/Intel relationship. Unless...

Intel has pictures of Mr. Dell with another woman:D

Anyway.

Man, how did Dell become such a big player? 10 years ago I would be saying "Dude, who the hell is Dell?!?!? Puff, puff, give. Dude, stop Bogarting the weed!"

Dell sucks. All I can say is if they're the "best" brandname computer manufacturer, then I hate to see the worst. I unfortunately had to buy a brandname when I got a laptop and I chose a Dell. It wasn't a mistake exactly, but I wasn't impressed by them in the least.

I agree with Larva and that was basically what I was trying to get across . Bear in mind though that Dell has threatened to do this before and purposely let Intel know that they were checking out AMD's offerings . Intel then stepped in and sweetened the deal and suddenly Dell execs didn't want a thing to do with AMD and the issue was quickly dropped .

There were very strong rumours when the initial Opterons were being reviewed that Dell was very very interested, then Dell put that to rest by saying they weren't interested at all .

This story is the most interesting so far because having stuff in stock is clear intention and some emails are likely going back and forth between the two companies .

I guess someone will soon say that Dell's site got hacked :rolleyes: , of course that is pretty unlikely .

Or someone will claim Dell put it there to be found and further strongarm Intel into a better deal . But to make that statement I'd need to put on my tinfoil-hat :)

I think the images provided at the beginning of this post are faked. No other products are listed with just the "overview" tab and theres a lot of screen real estate not being used. All of the other products have alot more information provided and the screen is full of stuff....more wishfull thinking on someones part if you ask me....:rolleyes:

EDIT-
well I read the above statement...like I said, wishfull thinking...

Well according to Dell ,they do sell them . So nothing is faked . Their claim is that they sell them to select highend customers that want them . I like many others will still find it ironic if not funny that someone could actually parade a Dell Opteron custom built server . However the longshot question still is , does Dell plan to sell AMD on a larger scale ? Was this really only a special case AMD order ?

As an aside , do you notice that this time there is no specific , we will not sell AMD statement this time ?.

Back