• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec TruePower 550

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1MG ^Hawk^

Registered
I've been having Hard Drive problems, someone mentioned I should check out my power supply. I brought up MBM dashbaod and it showed:

+12 = 11.5v
+3.3 = 3.2
+5 = 4.5v

I've got all the pots maxed now and here's all I got:

+12 = 11.86v
+3.3 = 3.39v
+5 = 4.52v

I'm only running a 5 fans, 2 hard drives and 2 CD-ROMs I hardly think I'm overloading it.

These seem kinda low. Time to get a new Power Supply?

Last edited:
1MG ^Hawk^ said:
These seem kinda low. Time to get a new Power Supply?

Check the voltages with a multi-meter first. The Molex on the back of the PSU is very handy for this.

Not sure, but I have a feeling you attached the pots wrong. Also check the rails with a multimeter.

+5 and +12v check thru the molex:
Yellow=12v
Red = 5v

The +3.3v rail check thru the AUX connector:

Orange=3.3v

Black is ground.

I just received a MUCH better Multimeter and tested my Rails on my 3 TRUE CONTROL power s. The MBM5 readings were LOW!!!!!

My 12V rails MBM5 were 12.04 but tested at 12.35.

Still with 3% specs but barely so I lowered them to with 2% to 12.24 V. I would rather be HIGH than low, just wanted to keep within specs of 3%.

MBM5 is a good BASE but not very accurate.

Yeah I don't go by MBM for volt monitoring. I believe it's only good for fan speed monitoring & the temps on it appear to be fairly accurate also. Other then that.........

i doubt that its your psu... have you run and of the drive diagnostics?

Yep, and while there seem to be some erros, I now have installed 3 different drives in this computer. All seem to have problems and are very noisy. When I cranked my pots up to max, my newest drive has settled down, and file transfers were very stable. But just minutes ago, it locked up again, so I'm baffled. I'm ready to replace the Motherboard, maybe the Controller is failing?

I don't really have another, I suppose I could buy. I still need to test with a multimeter. Maybe the PSU is not providing stable voltages. I am going to try and boot up the origianl HD tonight with the pots turned up.

are you attaching fans to the same channel as the hdd? if yes change it... if diagnostics show errors that means your hdd is bad, even if it doesn't show it right off... back up your info asap and get a new hdd

I'll check the fans, but I'm on my third drive. The latest is brand new. All will start clicking or clucking after running for a short while. So far the only improvement has been to tweak up the voltage, but it seems to me that my voltages are low. Even from the BIOS the numbers aren't much better.

Ok putting the old drive in was a no go, wouldn't boot. The second drive is still acting up. I went ahead and hooked all my fans and light back up, and it made no difference on the voltage readings.

I went out and bought a new Motherboard. ABIT NF7-S

So far so good, everything is working much, much better.

Thanks for all the ideas guys.

Back