• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Molex power for drives via 1/8" connectors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pro*Banshee

First time posting...so go easy on me.

Would "3.5MM (1/8") 3-CONDUCTOR INLINE PHONE JACKS"
work for molex power to drives?

I had in mind a kind of power distribution block to rid myself of all those nasty long wires inside my already cramped case, and was thinking of soldering those jacks onto the molex connector positions on the drives and then in the power block and then using 1/8" patch cables to connect the two.

Would amperage be a concern?

Also, there are two ground lines in a wire, would it hurt to combine two of those into one assuming there is enough umph in the small (maybe 24-18g wire I plan on using)?

<edit> spelling

YEA FOO. Try posting in the modding section with a link to orac3. You can't combine the two negatives as each are an idepentant line (-12v and -5v) with their own amperage tolorances.

pwnt by pat said:
YEA FOO. Try posting in the modding section with a link to orac3. You can't combine the two negatives as each are an idepentant line (-12v and -5v) with their own amperage tolorances.

:( you are wrong.

There are 5 voltages straight out of the PSU, all with reference to ground.

+12v and ground=12v.
+5v and ground=5v.
+3.3v and ground=3.3v.
-5v and ground =-5v.
-12v and ground=-12v.

Ground is _not_ the same as the -12v or -5v lines. If you use a +12v line and a -12v line, you will have 24v.

If you would like, I can post a picture of my old 400w PSU, where all the black (ground) wires run together into one big solder blob.

Pro*Banshee said:
First time posting...so go easy on me.

Welcome to the forums!{/SIZE]

Pro*Banshee said:
Would "3.5MM (1/8") 3-CONDUCTOR INLINE PHONE JACKS"
work for molex power to drives?

Yes. All you need is 3 conductors, provided that you connect the two middle pins of the molex. See below fo amperage concerns, though.

Pro*Banshee said:

I had in mind a kind of power distribution block to rid myself of all those nasty long wires inside my already cramped case, and was thinking of soldering those jacks onto the molex connector positions on the drives and then in the power block and then using 1/8" patch cables to connect the two.

Excellent idea, but realize, it will be tough to seel the drives, or use them in a molex system, if the connectors still have solder on them, or are melted. Be careful!

Pro*Banshee said:

Would amperage be a concern?

Yes, see below.

Pro*Banshee said:

Also, there are two ground lines in a wire, would it hurt to combine two of those into one assuming there is enough umph in the small (maybe 24-18g wire I plan on using)?

Well, my hard drives are rated at about 1.5A total. If you had 3 or 4 drives on 24 gauge wire, you could start to see wire heating and voltage drops. I'd go with 14 or 16 gauge wire, to be safe.

http://bnoack.com/index.html?http&&&bnoack.com/data/wire-resistance.html

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 62
Back