• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI Radeon Graphic..so beutiful but then...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Angry

IT LOCKS UP!!!!!!

This is in Directx and Open gl

Its a Ati Radeon 64 Sdr Not the DDR version...

The sys (for now)
SY-K7VIA Mobo
Slot A Athlon 550
192 meg ram
Creative Ensoniq Sound card
Deta 12x DVD rom

Ok I have tried 3 games so far 4x4 Evolution, locks up in Direct X and Opengl after a few secs in game, Quake 3 locked up when I went to enter the cd key, (didnt even get past that) and Revolt it would display a few logos then locks...cant even to the main menu agh...

I have put the sound in diff PCI slot, no go, I have Direct X 8 installed from the drivers cd that came with the card, also I belive the Driver version to be 4.13.7109, according to driver properties anyway, I have tried a few setting in the bios no luck.

Please! HELP! The graphic even upon boot are so beutiful, I mean going from a voodoo3 3000, its like i died and went to heaven, The truck in 4x4 evo are so beutifuly detail now that that they are just so friggin sweet i could go on and on but I want to keep this thing from locking UP!

I would be on my pc right now but when I open IE and i get a white window that the Windows logo in the corner and it juzt sits there till i close it out..i think i messed something up when i waz checkin of stuff to install under windows setup in CP.

Download and install Direct X 8.0a. Also try Downloading the lastest official or Beta drivers. Go to rage3d.com for those. Also try to get a register cleaner for your old card. Tweakfiles.com should have something for the Voodoo3 3000

I have Direct 8, And I just did a reformat, I will get the newest drivers tommrow. I may install direct x 8.1 later..should I?

Angry said:
I have Direct 8, And I just did a reformat, I will get the newest drivers tommrow. I may install direct x 8.1 later..should I?

I don't think current drivers even utilize directx 8.1 and I didn't notice any improvement.

Hey I just found something it locks up more often in games that use Direct x, Quake 3 ran good last night in opengl.

Ok man I will..man I cant wait to figur this out, i tried the latest drivers from the ATI website, no go, installed direct x 8.1, no go

Jezz this sux, the graphics are perfect..also both 3d marks will not run they lock at loading screen..DVDS are fine so far...

I have tried AGP Fast Write on and off
I have AGP Aperguture or what ever it is set to 64, thats right?

This juzt sux...:mad:

Well I don't know if I can be of any help but I heard if can do that kinda stuff if your Agp slot is not set to the right speed of the card. Check.

Angry said:
Ok man I will..man I cant wait to figur this out, i tried the latest drivers from the ATI website, no go, installed direct x 8.1, no go

Jezz this sux, the graphics are perfect..also both 3d marks will not run they lock at loading screen..DVDS are fine so far...

I have tried AGP Fast Write on and off
I have AGP Aperguture or what ever it is set to 64, thats right?

This juzt sux...:mad:

Well obviously its a directx problem.

I suggest download Radeon Tweaker (@tweakfiles) and fiddeling with the directx settings.

Oh yea and Radeons memory and core are synched.

If you overclocked em even a bit and they're not the same 3dMark will definately crash.

Well...I havent even overclocked..dont want to till i get this prob fixed...this really sux bigtime...:confused:

I tried a few other AGP settings no luck there either so i thinki I have tried all of them in my bios...

ugh this sux

No, I just got the card, I reformated my pc which is currently a Athlon 550 slot a until i send off my KT7A on RMA, the mobo im using right now is a SY-K7VIA

But now its even locking up in Q3,

I tried the drivers from atI.com they were older then than the ones off the driver cd, so i kept the ones off teh cd...i have direct x 8.1 install

damn......I don't know whats wrong you should RMA it or return it to the store you got it from for another one.... Maybe somethign went out on the card...

Angry said:
No, I just got the card, I reformated my pc which is currently a Athlon 550 slot a until i send off my KT7A on RMA, the mobo im using right now is a SY-K7VIA

But now its even locking up in Q3,

I tried the drivers from atI.com they were older then than the ones off the driver cd, so i kept the ones off teh cd...i have direct x 8.1 install

Are your temps OK? It's hot almost everywhere right now, and lockups are certainly heat related nowadays...

I'm with ferrari, it sounds like you been getting the shaft on equipment (may need to RMA this card too).

Sorry for the bad news, don't be angry with me ;).

I think that the problem is coming from your system and bot your card. There's been a problem with the VIA 686B Southbridge and sound blaster live! . They somehow make the system crash. It happened in my on my Duron system. I also have a Radeon. I downloaded the latest VIA 4-in1 driver and everything works well now. Hope this helps.

Well guyz guess what, I found that the heatsink waz getting extremely hot, when it did work anyway, So I decided to put a bigger one on, this one didnt even have a fan on it , So i stuck the card in an antistatic bag and put it in the freezer for 15 mins, took it out and just slightly turned the heatsink on it clockwise, it poped off instantly, So i put four very small drops of superglue on each corner of teh chip, with thermal paste in the middle, stuck a large socket 7 heat sink on it and it instantly stuck, so i stuck the card back in...and guess what the the thing got past displaying the "_" it the top left corner and the monitor juzt turned off...I was like oh ****, so i restarted the machine and it came up this ime only in 16 colors, not 16 bit or 32 bit, 16, so i went to settings changed to 256colors, it restarted, no go, monitor turned off in the exact same place. So now i think the heatsink is conducting something it shouldnt be so i decide to po it off, take card out, place it light in my had and then grab the heatsink,it turn it clock wise this was a littel harder, but it came off, well not only did the heatsink come off but so did 2 of the little silver tranistors beside teh chip as well, I knew i had a dead card then, so juzt to find out how dead i stuck it back in, the pc turned on which shocked the heck out me, but it came up in 16 bit color, so crap..now i need to find out where the 2 silver things go and get my uncle to is a very good solderener and have him put them back on, the store i got it from, Software eTc wont take it back once the box has been opened. ugh..i may have pics of the damage later, I g2g im at Va Tech on a mac posting this, Im takeing classes for DV editing and other stuff. Laterz guyz

this sux..maybe my uncle will get me one as an early hristmas present...i hope the graphics were the best i have ever seen and the DVDs played perfectly

Have a moment of silence for the dearly departed...

maybe your uncle could perform some voodoo on the card with his soldering magic.

Really sorry to here that, I have lost some good pieces of equipment to tinkering... but I always seem to get something better as a replacement.

Back