• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

K7D PCI LAN Problem, Stable System until file transfers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rxtrom

I have a K7D master non L and a Intel PCI lan card, my system is @ 16x150, and is prime stable all day and night.
Now my problem is when i try to transfer files over the network, AND run something else, like 3dmark, or Prime95. the system just stops responding and freezes, ctrl ald del does not even work. The files are being transfered to a secondary drive that is not in use. (the drive is fine)
I also have a LSIu160 in the 64 slot, but problem persisted even after i removed this.

The lan card is an intel lan and it is 32 bit, i also tried another card and it did the same thing.
Please Help me this is frustrating!!!:mad:

--ROB
P.S i have the bios 1.9

Yes! it still crashes, Is it my board, or the LAN should i get a lan that can handle the PCI increase?

I am allready using a PS/2 mouse
About my precious Question before though
Is it the LAN or my K7D Do i need to get a lan that can handle the PCI increase?

The first thing I would try is a totally different brand NIC card. They are very cheap. But have you checked for any device conflicts?

rxtrom said:
Is it the LAN or my K7D Do i need to get a lan that can handle the PCI increase?

You just said it still crashes even if you reduce your fsb. So It's not the pci speed being to high to allow stability. Your LAN doesn't care about the bus speed of one machine.
I'm thinking more of a bad card now.
A bad mobo will USUALLY cause problems in multiple configurations.

OK i will try a different card, I lowered the FSB to 133 and it was fine, but that is not where i want my FSB, so i uped it to 140 and it was still ok, but at 150 it SUCKS, i will try a different LAN card then

What do you think now that i tested it somemore?
A new Lan card maybe?
what brand do you use?

Go Intel if you want low CPU usage or this if you are willing to go with a software NIC. The 2nd one I linked to is good for 40+ on the PCI bus.

I have the intel, 2 of them and they both are locking up!!!
I will try a different brand card and post results..
Thanks

I have the exact same problem as rxtrom. When ever I transfer a large amount of data (movies or folders of MP3s) from my main rig listed below to my laptop my system locks up, but never locks up though when I do the same transfer from my laptop to my main rig.
I have found only one way around the problem. I use my main rig as a ftp server so I tried logging in to it with my laptop through the local network rather then just transfering the files through the windows networking. If I transfer files this way my system never locks up so I think it has to be some problem with windows and the K7D Master Board because the network card that I use now was from an old system and that system was overclocked so that the PCI bus was at 40Mhz and I never had this problem with it.
It would be much easier to transfer files just through the windows networking but with my limited knowledge of networking I havent found any way of solving this problem.

Juib.....Have you tried Linux...Just t omake sure it is a windows problem?
I am going to try later today..I'll let you know

Back