• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WPA setup, help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flewdefur

So i've decided its time to upgrade from WEP encryption to WPA preshared keys. i've heard that it is more secure because it rotates keys and is also easier to set up because the pasphrase can be a normal "password" instead of a hexdecimal code like WEP uses. This would make it really easy to add friends latops and junk whenever they come to my house.

So i've got a Linksys WRT54g wireless router and i easily set up the WPA using a pasphrase and the TKIP algorithm. This seems fine and dandy.

Then i went to my windows wireless control pannel and notice that there is no option for WPA, only WEP. Some quick googling and i discovered i needed the Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) Q815485.

So i downloaded this and installed it on my wireless computer. Restart and check the wireless control pannel and sure enough there is some new drop downs: "Network Authentication" and "Data Encryption".

Much to my dismay the settings i require for WPA are not listed like they are in the guides and on microsofts website. There is not option for the WPA pre shared key or TKIP, the only thing listed in the dropdown is WEP. So it seems that all it did was give me the new interface and all but didnt install what i need for decoding/connecting/doing whatever this stuff needs to do.

The network card i've got is a Airlink wireless G pci card. Perhaps it doesnt support WPA that would make me sad but i guess you get what you pay for.

Anyone got any suggestions for how to continue? perhaps there is a download im missing? i searched windows update with no success.

Thanks!

So i've decided its time to upgrade from WEP encryption to WPA preshared keys. i've heard that it is more secure because it rotates keys and is also easier to set up because the pasphrase can be a normal "password" instead of a hexdecimal code like WEP uses. This would make it really easy to add friends latops and junk whenever they come to my house.

Shared key just uses a "common" key for any wireless connection. Using a pass phrase actually takes your password and throws random HEX characters into it to encrypt it.

Then i went to my windows wireless control pannel and notice that there is no option for WPA, only WEP. Some quick googling and i discovered i needed the Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) Q815485.

Good Job

Much to my dismay the settings i require for WPA are not listed like they are in the guides and on microsofts website. There is not option for the WPA pre shared key or TKIP, the only thing listed in the dropdown is WEP. So it seems that all it did was give me the new interface and all but didnt install what i need for decoding/connecting/doing whatever this stuff needs to do.

Just because the Microsoft Fix enables it in windows doesn't mean the the cards hardware will support it. You will need to check the requirements on that card to make sure it can support WPA.

The network card i've got is a Airlink wireless G pci card. Perhaps it doesnt support WPA that would make me sad but i guess you get what you pay for.

That is likely the cause.

did you look for updated drivers for you card? my dell tm1300 didn't want to support WPA either until I updated the cards drivers.

other than that, i think you would have to try a new card.

i thought it does? Unless we're talkin about different cards.

specs from outpost.com

Security

* 64, 128, 256-bit WEP Encryption
* WPA supported

Back