• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much or a diff would 1/2 tubing make over say 3/8 in temps ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CandymanCan

Disabled
Right now my cpu is running hotter for some reason. I shortend the hoses, unhooked the reservior from the system, cleaned the block out, sanded it down, everything i could think and im still getting

48c load @ 2300mhz. I was thinking should i try tubing sizes 1/2 over the 3/8 im using.

Would that increase waterflow ? Or should i try something even bigger ?

What components are you using? Ambient temps? I don't think just going from 3/8 to 1/2 will give you the dramatic temp drops you're looking for. There has to be another culprit here.

I don't think it would make a difference in temps all that much...maybe a one or two C drop...I don't even know about that for sure. All I do know is that 1/2" IS better and more efficient for water-cooling. I don't know how much better it is though. :-/

I have thse parts.

Maze 3
Black ice Extreme radiator
Ehiem 1048 pump

And a home made res that hold like 5 or so cups or water.

Again iv tried cleaning the block inside snading it down to shine, making the hoses shorter, flushing the radiator out,

I dont under stand why my temps are 48c load, whe nusing 2300mhz @ 1.80v

I mean The block is on correctly i rechecked, i took the pc apart cleaned it for dust. I dunno.

I just opend my window now to let some frehs air in, the load temps went to 41c from 48c
Maybe its cuss my room is hot or something, but even when it isnt hot and say in the 70f it still reaches 48c.

I also forgot to tell you that im using 2 90mm fans for the rad, i dont have the money for 2 120mm fans, could that be the reason why ? Maybe those fans arent cooling the thing properly or something.

My idle temps are rnaging about 34c or so. Load is 48c, i mean is it possible for the thing to really get 14c hotter in just say 2 hours.

I'd say your pump was to blame, but then again, you're not running a very high resistance setup.

Room temperature will dictate your cooling, so try to keep it as low as possable.

CandymanCan said:
I just opend my window now to let some frehs air in, the load temps went to 41c from 48c
Maybe its cuss my room is hot or something, but even when it isnt hot and say in the 70f it still reaches 48c.

Did it maintain 41c under load? What was the room temp with the window open? Does your rad get fresh air? Your idle/load temp diff. is a bit high. Is your radiator or waterblock warm/hot under load? How are those 92mm's setup? Airflow may be the culprit.

EDIT: Just read your other thread. You definitely want to try a shroud of some sort especially since you're using 92mm's flat on the fins! I don't think even the built in BIX shroud is at optimum distance. Did you check load temps yet? Since your idle temps only dropped a degree or so I expect the load temps to not drop anymore than that also. Definitely try to invest in a 120mm. If you can find a local computer swapmeet you could probably find a 120mm for less than 5 bucks when they have a stock pile of em.

Check this frontpage article also.

Last edited:
Yes it staid a constant 41c load when i opend my windows for some fresh air. It was about 68-74f Yesturday so i assume that was the temp of my room.

Im ganna take a pic for u guys to see what my setup looks like now. Gimme a second.

Bad quality but u can still see, i put both of those shrouds that i made o nthe thing, how does it look ? did i do it right ?

picture_001%5B2%5D.jpg

picture_002%5B1%5D.jpg

picture_004%5B1%5D.jpg

Last edited:
Looks alright, but it's kina hard to make out. Those fans in a push pull setup? Also if you have your rad in corner like that, is it warm over there?
(I have the same toolbox that your rad is on, only mine does not have the blue cover. I feel as though we have bonded now)

Yea i had thought about that corner being a lil warm and not helping very much for the cooling. Its just the way my room is setup right now. Ill rearange my room later.

and yes the fa nare in a push pull setup.

Edit: Re-aranged my room phew took forever, but now my pc is right by the windows, and temps went down for idle @ 2300mhz 1.82v the temps are now idling @ 31c

Last edited:
Back