• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

folding network setup woes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Posidon42

I am setting up my folding rigs in the basement via wireless connection and am having problems. Here is my setup:

cable modem connected to wireless router

wireless router connected to laptop via wireless connection
wireless router connected to main rig via ethernet
wireless router connected to main folding (nf7 & 2500M) rig via wireless connection

What I want to do is to use the onboard nic on the NF7 to allow the other 3 computers to connect to the internet and the rest of the network.

I tried doing the "share network connection" stuff, but it didn't seem to work. I can access the main folding rig from my main rig, but I can't access any of the other three.

Help and suggestions are appreciated.

Hold on, all you want is internet on the 3 computers?

You have a working router, correct?

What type of internet connection?

The router should already have the IP of 192.168.0.1. It should also be working as a DHCP server. On the other machines, set up the NIC to get the IP from the DHCP server. If the OS on the machines is Win ME or XP, you can simply run the wizard on each machine.

If you have done that, try a realease/renew. For win 9x, go to:
Start | Run | type 'winipcfg' | click 'Rlease' | click 'Renew'

For win 2k/XP:
Start | Run | type 'cmd' | type 'ipconfig /release' | type 'ipconfig /renew'.

This will set IPs for each rig and set the Gateway too. Unless you have a Proxy server going on your NF7, the connection will not go through that machine.

ok, the proxy thing is what I think I need. how do I set that up in xp pro?

{PMS}fishy said:
Hold on, all you want is internet on the 3 computers?

You have a working router, correct?

What type of internet connection?

Yes, I have a working router, but the other machines don't have access to it. The only machine with an internet connection in the basement is the one that has the wireless pci card. I think I want to run a proxy server on that machine (xp pro) so I can share that internet connection with the other 3 computers which are also in the basement.

Since your running XP you should be able to bridge the connections with windows. Just another option.

well I got it working and it is 90% what I expected it to do. I can use VNC from my machine to the, for lack of a better term, "gateway" machine, but that is it. I can't see any of the machines that are connected downstream of that machine from my computer. It's ok though, I just installed EMIII on the gateway machine so all I have to do is connect to that one to check on the hardware.

I just added 5.4ghz of power to my folding :) If I can get the other two stable on the 166 bus, I might try upping them a little bit, but I want to see how they do for a whlie first.

Thanks for all the help mates.

Posidon42 said:
I am setting up my folding rigs in the basement via wireless connection and am having problems. Here is my setup:

cable modem connected to wireless router

wireless router connected to laptop via wireless connection
wireless router connected to main rig via ethernet
wireless router connected to main folding (nf7 & 2500M) rig via wireless connection

What I want to do is to use the onboard nic on the NF7 to allow the other 3 computers to connect to the internet and the rest of the network.

I tried doing the "share network connection" stuff, but it didn't seem to work. I can access the main folding rig from my main rig, but I can't access any of the other three.

Help and suggestions are appreciated.

Time out -

I read all the posts on this,,,,,,, proxy software? huh
<<USE YOUR ONBOARD NIC TO SHARE INTERNET?
thats what you have a router for, to 'share' your cable connection, via wireless or wired.
You don't need proxy software or bridging in XP. RTFM that came with your router and wireless nics to get them configured. BTW what is the mfg/model of your router and wireless nics? This info would help assist us in helping you out.

I see what you're saying. The wireless machines could connect directly to the wireless router.

Posidon42, is there a particular reason that you want the wireless rigs to connect through the NF7?

Re: Re: folding network setup woes

jajmon said:

Time out -

I read all the posts on this,,,,,,, proxy software? huh
<<USE YOUR ONBOARD NIC TO SHARE INTERNET?
thats what you have a router for, to 'share' your cable connection, via wireless or wired.
You don't need proxy software or bridging in XP. RTFM that came with your router and wireless nics to get them configured. BTW what is the mfg/model of your router and wireless nics? This info would help assist us in helping you out.

I think the other PCs are connecting through the NF2 via wired ethernet. To connect these PCs to the router directly, via wired ethernet would require running one cable per PC to the router.

ie: in this situation if the computers connect to a wireless enabled computer which is nearby, it saves cluttering the place up by running cables across.

very true. But I got it working. I now have NO cables running from the basement and all 4 can get on the internet and are folding away happily. :)

It ends up I just had to run the network wizard in xp pro. Simply enabling the network sharing obviously wasn't enough lol.

As for why I am running the connection through the NF7, there really is no reason. It is the first one I got running, it is the one that is running XP vs 98 for the rest of them and it is the most powerful and I thought it would be best able to handle the extra communication stuff.

So far so good and thanks for trying to help.

Back