• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

someone tell me what's wrong with my setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Westside05

71335798-Picture041.jpg

starting from eheim 1250, RBX , reservoir, radiator, and back to eheim. right now, my mobile barton 2500 is oced @ 200x11 2.2ghz(default voltage 1.55) w/ temp of 45C idle and 55 while running prime.

lmk what yall think..

that heatercore doesn't look like its doing much, is there a fan on it at all? and it looks like its higher than the res, prob lots of air in it...

abit mobo's supposedly read temps high... at least this is the excuse i finally settled on.. I have a rbx also. never got the "normal low" temps with it no matter what i did.. tried all nozzles many times.. different pastes even tried a 500gph pump.. 10 gallon res... etc etc etc prolly reinstalled the block 50+ times already.. but i gave up on caring..probably not what you wanted to hear but what can ya do...

(just a btw had a 2.4b, 2.4c, and now a 2.8e for cpu's a ic7 mobo and now a ai7.. temps stayed within a couple degrees c between all the diff cpu's mobo's...) yeah, i give up. blame teh motherboard probe!

well where is the air being pushed, right onto the psu, and blowing back into the fan?.. have the heatercore oriented so that air can flow through and out it

there is a 120mm vantech stealth fan w/ shroud on the top of radiator, pushing air into, and right above the psu.
thx, noxipoo, i lowered the position of heatercore and it dropped about 5 degree. 40c idle..and most amazingly 43c prime..;)

313197110-Picture.jpg

now it looks ugly and im gonna have to find better way to rearrange this..thanks alot guys and let me know if there's any other problem with my setup

Last edited:
The first arrangement was bad because the air didn't have anywhere to go after it went through the heatercore - it was just blowing into the solid top of the PSU. That creates backpressure and hurts airflow considerably. Airflow is the greatest variable in radiator performance.

The pump intake is restricted. Supposedly pumps perform much better, and live longer, if the intake is not restricted. The pump should draw water from the resevoir, with ideally as little of restriction as possible.

What is that connector between the RBX and the res? The one that narrows the flow and creates a lot of unnecessary restriction?

just make sure theres some room around the heatercore to get cold air from outside the case on it, and to make sure the reservoir or a T line is on the highest point. I wouldn't put the heatercore right on top of the PSU since the air has no where to go, leave a little room if you can.

IMOG said:
The first arrangement was bad because the air didn't have anywhere to go after it went through the heatercore - it was just blowing into the solid top of the PSU. That creates backpressure and hurts airflow considerably. Airflow is the greatest variable in radiator performance.

The pump intake is restricted. Supposedly pumps perform much better, and live longer, if the intake is not restricted. The pump should draw water from the resevoir, with ideally as little of restriction as possible.

What is that connector between the RBX and the res? The one that narrows the flow and creates a lot of unnecessary restriction?

I noticed that too, it seems unnecessary to have that.

blame teh motherboard probe!
Can't always get away that easy. Yeah, Abit probes read a little high, but when you're getting 55C load and a 10C difference between load and idle, something's definitely wrong. You can't take a carefree approach like that all the time - but it's a good last resort excuse.

If I were you, I'd re-locate the heatercore to the top of the case where there is/could be a blow hole. Does your PSU have a top fan? If so duct that air out of the case to keep it from the heatercore.

As for the thing about Abit mobo's reading high, you will hear that about every damn motherboard manufacturer out there.

The same rules apply as always though - you must compare your temps to other people with the same motherboard and CPU. (Same bios revision is important too, though no one worries about this it seems)

I think the top of the case in between the PSU and the drive cages would be a good place to cut a blow hole. Whatever you do, you need good clearance on both sides of the heatercore though or you will get poor airflow through it - jamming it above the psu like that wasn't a good idea.

I agree with IMOG, in between the psu and drive cages would be about perfect. If you fear temps aren't as good as they can be, then you could use the blowhole as the intake, or duct fresh air from the fan slots above the psu(make sure the air you get is as cold as possible, that will make or break your temps IMHO.

What kind and how much additive is in your water? Looks kind of like a high concentration of antifreeze.

AFIsoldier said:
I agree with IMOG, in between the psu and drive cages would be about perfect. If you fear temps aren't as good as they can be, then you could use the blowhole as the intake, or duct fresh air from the fan slots above the psu(make sure the air you get is as cold as possible, that will make or break your temps IMHO.

but den again, heatercore will be higher than reservoir....

Back