• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prime95 errors out?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrgreenjeans

I've torture tested my CPU before using Prime95 and and 1) either prime stopped itself stating that it had encountered an error after running 8 hrs. and x min, or 2) the computer just quit and rebooted. My past two attempts I've gotten a "Prime95 has encountered a serious error" report and the program terminated. Is this to be expected or has my copy of P95 gotten corrupted and need to be replaced. I'm trying to clock a 2.8c to sig specs, vcore set @ 1.6. Temps have yet to exceed 43c. It's ran up to 3 hours before it crapped out. Opinions? Advice?

I'd reccomend posting this in Intel CPUs to get a better turnout but:

Prime95's torture test will error for any number of reasons including having a CPU problem. Chipset, RAM and cosmic rays can all affect the P95 torture test.

We need to know what torture test you're running in order to pass judgement on what the problem is. Is it a "Blend" or is it something that can be run entirely from CPU cache (such as small FFTs)?

It never hurts to have it cooler, though, so if you're out of ideas, make it cooler :cool:

The "...encountered serious error..." part is the result of an unstable system, as mentioned above. You do not have a corrupted program, but you do have stability issues...

I would say start with a stock setup and work your way up to your OC... Memory instability is a very good culprit, as well as voltage deficiency...

Do it the tried and true way and go in stepwise increments... Also, try memtest86 to isolate and confirm any memory problems...

Back