• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did Ryzen 3900x crash my windows?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

So I upgraded my 1600 to a 3900X yesterday. Everything worked GREAT! No issues at all.
Get on today, start up computer and I get a System Thread Exception BSOD. Just cycles immediately as soon as windows starts.

I got into safe mode, uninstalled AMD GPU and chipset drivers, rebooted and now it won't boot at all. System reset says it runs into a problem. System restore says error. I seem to be completely stuck now.
Seems as if the entire windows install literally just corrupted itself.

Is there any recovery at this point or should I just reformat and reinstall windows?

I've never had to reinstall windows for a CPU upgrade only before. I didn't change the motherboard. I just upgraded the BIOS and thats it!

Your motherboard does not have the VRM appropriate to operate a 12 core CPU. It is a rather weak doubled 3 phase solution with a minuscule heatsink. Sure the 3900X is only rated for 105W TDP but that doesn't reflect a high end of power draw. I'm guessing that the inadequate power delivery caused the crash which indeed corrupted windows.

If you want to try it again, you need to have direct airflow on the VRM heatsink.

Are you running a 3900X with this board?

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 ITXac.PNG

PBO all core load will probably make the VRM section get too hot. Running that chip in the small confines of an itx case... What cooler are you using with your setup the provided stock Wraith Prism?

You could be looking at some heat issues.

EDIT: Earlier this past weekend I was curious and ran/tested my 3900X briefly in an ASUS Strix B450-F using a PBO all core load (Rosetta@home) which ended up really heating up the vrm section... The heatsinks got quite warm to the touch on an open air bench. I took the 3900X out and I'm now using the B450-F to run my old 1700X at 3.5GHz with ~1.225v.

Last edited:
I am using the Corsair h100i so there is not much airflow moving over the VRM's I guess...

I can use the provided AMD cooler that will move some air over and see if that helps?

What speed were you running the Geil Evo RAM at?

Should update - I am now running Corsair 3000MHz, set to 3000MHz in BIOS, so its not a RAM issue.

After reading more, maybe you guys are right. I didnt realize this board may not be able to handle this CPU. Maybe I need to get a new motherboard, which also means I need a new case too since I wont be able to do Mini ITX anymore.

I'm using the provided Wraith Prism on my B450-F/1700X combo and it spins at ~3000+ rpm full load. It is kind of loud. I'm not sure how well it will do with cooling both the chip and the VRM section sufficiently? The issue is the chip maxes out vrm design causing those components to over heat.

I would not necessarily say that you would *not* be able to do mini ITX anymore. That said concerns regarding cooling / airflow are still valid, so considering a new case may still be appropriate. I would suggest keeping the H100i, even at stock settings CPU performance is improved if kept under 70c https://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3492-ryzen-cpu-thermals-matter-coolers-and-cases. In addition I would mount a dedicated fan to supply air over the VRM secion. Although you might have stable results from the stock cooler, I'm guessing you'll see higher performance with the liquid cooler.

You can check out this video:

This board could work, although VRM airflow would still be advised https://www.newegg.com/msi-performance-gaming-b450i-gaming-plus-ac/p/N82E16813144190. Yes it has the same number of chokes visible, but it has a much larger VRM heatsink and I believe substantially more efficient mosfets, although I'm not an expert in the details. 6x IR3555 mosfets for the MSI. Also could possibly use the https://www.newegg.com/asus-rog-strix-b450-i-gaming/p/N82E16813119143, but they use the IR3553 and appears to have a slightly smaller heatsink. This board is expensive and I know nothing about it, but it appears to have a large VRM heatsink connected via heatpipe to an active chipset heatsink and a number of VRM phases https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813157891. This board has the same VRM as the b450 strix, and seeing that the main benefit of the x470 is SLI support, and this board only has one PCIe slot, I see it having quite limited utility https://www.newegg.com/asus-rog-strix-x470-i-gaming/p/N82E16813119101.

edit: I just wanted to add that none of the b450 itx boards seem ideal for 12 cores, however it may be that they are just fine. I do know that they are likely a significant improvement over your current board.

None of the ITX boards have a sink on the VRM components to the north of the socket. There just isn't room for one. That said, some have better, more power efficient VRM components than others and will handle 6 core/12 threads well, even overclocked to the hilt and 8 core/16 thread Ryzens with some overclock. But the ITX boards as a class are not going to be up to the task of handling a 3900X under load. If you want to use that chip I believe you will need to move up the ATX platform IMO.

None of the ITX boards have a sink on the VRM components to the orth of the socket.
This is true, though some have them all under that left bank heatsinked. When it is setup like this, those are more than likely for the SOC side of things which doesn't need as much as what takes care of the CPU itself. I'm not saying it cant be part of the issue, the board isn't exactly beefy and a lack of airflow isn't helping, but if any were to be without, those are generally the ones. That board and a 3900x just smells like trouble any way you slice it, really.

AMD-Zen2-VRM.png

Whats a suggested board that will work well with my 3900x well In the around or under $200 range?
Does not have to be ITX I can move back to ATX now.

Whats a suggested board that will work well with my 3900x well In the around or under $200 range?

Just get any X570 motherboard that meets your needs.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

This is true, though some have them all under that left bank heatsinked. When it is setup like this, those are more than likely for the SOC side of things which doesn't need as much as what takes care of the CPU itself. I'm not saying it cant be part of the issue, the board isn't exactly beefy and a lack of airflow isn't helping, but if any were to be without, those are generally the ones. That board and a 3900x just smells like trouble any way you slice it, really.

View attachment 206839

"Someone" posted that chart here a while back IIRC.

At the $200 mark (which sadly is about as cheap as these X570 boards come), the Asus TUF Z570-Plus Wi-Fi worked well with a 3700X.

The Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi is solid at $260.

I haven't tested any ITX boards yet, but that is next (next week).

"Someone" posted that chart here a while back IIRC.
Still bitter I couldn't remember your handle? Apologies again! :chair: :escape:

OK - tried to get a new motherboard today, but not a single AM4 board in stock anywhere local.
Came back home, figured I have nothing to lose and reinstalled windows along with putting the AMD Wraith cooler on.

Reinstall went smooth...Doesn't seem to have any problems right now...

Trying to see what the VRM temperatures are. On my board is it those 6 square things to the west of the socket, and the 2 to the north?

I will tell you though the 3900x is very power efficient - my Kill a Watt is reading 68w at idle here.

Red thing behind them. Just fire up prime and hold your hand over it. you will find those VRM lol. I would aim a fan directly at your mobo.

But your prob going to be in the 110c+ range on those VRM under load. I would start saving up for a new mobo because you basically just put a 92mm turbo on your stock Honda Civic. Its just beating that VRM to death. I would undervolt to help tame those temps. I dont know if that VRM has a thermal guard but your driving that thing hard.

Yes I plan to get a new motherboard, but sounds like maybe I can hold myself over.
I really didnt want to rush buy a board anyway. I prefer spending a few hours going over all the features I want, making sure I understand the VRM.

Dont know if I really need PCI-E 4.0, however if the 3900x is the 2600k of this year, I'll probably have the CPU for 3-5 years and therefore it might be worth going down that route.

Yes, that Asus x570 TUF wifi really offers a lot for that price.

Yes, that Asus x570 TUF wifi really offers a lot for that price.

Just ordered that board!
Did some reading and it does say the newer boards will allow the processor to boost at higher frequencies.

That looks like the board to buy in the $200 price range. It's also a lot stronger than any of the similarly priced b450 ITX boards I linked before. In terms of VRM it's identical to the more costly Strix x570 boards.

Thanks DaveB/EarthDog, that chart would have saved me a bit of time, and I'm sure it will in the future for motherboard suggestions!!

Back