• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen 9 3900X OC.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That was at 4.350 @1.38volts. This thing needs far better cooling or a new Chip. LOL.
Temps maxed at 82*C with multiple runs.

Nothing wrong with what you just explained and you still have 13c of headroom (small voltage changes make for large temperature changes). Can you please answer the questions directly that ED asked as well as whether you're using fixed or offset voltage settings?

Nothing wrong with what you just explained and you still have 13c of headroom (small voltage changes make for large temperature changes). Can you please answer the questions directly that ED asked as well as whether you're using fixed or offset voltage settings?
I have done it every way you can think. I have used auto offset and manual.

That was at 4.350 @1.38volts. This thing needs far better cooling or a new Chip. LOL.
Temps maxed at 82*C with multiple runs.
So, to be clear, 4.4 GHz crashes (instability?) with 1.38V?

Last chance.. if you can't answer the specific questions (to help us help you...), I'm not going to ask again and will walk away. Sorry man, but helping shouldn't be this difficult.
At stock, what voltage does it run at when it isn't overheating? (what does CPUz say? when you're running OCCT?)

Have you tried setting the voltage to that (making sure your load voltage is exactly the same in windows) and seeing if you're able to reach 4.4 GHz?

Have you tried using LESS than 1.35/1.38V for 4.4 GHz?

So, to be clear, 4.4 GHz crashes (instability?) with 1.38V?

Last chance.. if you can't answer the specific questions (to help us help you...), I'm not going to ask again and will walk away. Sorry man, but helping shouldn't be this difficult.
At stock the vcore varies from 1.23-14.5 and the speeds jump as well from 3.7Ghz up to 4.5Ghz. No overheating at stock.
Yes 4.4Ghz unstable at 1.38Vcore.
Yes I have tried setting the vcore to the EXACT same thing I have seen as in windows and yes it hits 4.4Ghz Just overheats.
Yes and it will not post at anything lower than 1.36Volts and 4.4 or 4.3Ghz.

It is all running stock and auto settings right now.
Untitled.jpg
Post magically merged:

I forget about CPU-Z here it is.

cpuz.jpg

All stock settings right now.

Last edited:
Yeah you can't just take what you see from the stock and expect it to do that for all cores. This was mentioned very early in the thread. The stock algorithm will apply higher vcore under various degrees of load, but you can't just cherry pick those numbers to run all the time. Run OCCT or Cinebench and see what the stock CPU does.

Either way you're not going to get amazing results. Sure you can beat the stock performance in all core workloads by 200-400MHz, but at the cost of lightly threaded workloads. We do it mostly for fun. You've got 12c/24t so unless most of your applications can use that, you're going to get the best performance leaving it stock or maybe turning on PBO.

Yeah you can't just take what you see from the stock and expect it to do that for all cores. This was mentioned very early in the thread. The stock algorithm will apply higher vcore under various degrees of load, but you can't just cherry pick those numbers to run all the time. Run OCCT or Cinebench and see what the stock CPU does.

Either way you're not going to get amazing results. Sure you can beat the stock performance in all core workloads by 200-400MHz, but at the cost of lightly threaded workloads. We do it mostly for fun. You've got 12c/24t so unless most of your applications can use that, you're going to get the best performance leaving it stock or maybe turning on PBO.
yes I agree and I am doing this for fun. As this CPU get hot fast and I do not want to fry it I will leave it stock.
It is fun though to see if you can get higher CPU speeds.

Okay so I put the liquid cooler back on left the voltage in the bios at AUTO and have the CPU running at 4.35GHz ran so far 2 full CR23 runs with no issues and really low temps now and no restart or overheating CPU.

under liquid idle.jpg
And all the stuff you see on screen is set in bios to that setting.

newrun.jpg

I snaped a screen of the temps and voltage right at the peak temp.

Now try 4.4 Ghz on Auto with CB23........

Try AIDA's stress test (check CPU/FPU/Cache/Memory) instead of OCCT. Make sure you're disabling AVX-512 instructions.

Now try 4.4 Ghz on Auto with CB23........

Try AIDA's stress test (check CPU/FPU/Cache/Memory) instead of OCCT. Make sure you're disabling AVX-512 instructions.
Okay just did is this what you are looking for?
It WORKED MAN IT REALLY WORKED! look at the temps. Not sure how "Stable it is but it is at 4.4GHz.

AIDA64 test 1.jpg

AIDA64 test 2.jpg
Post magically merged:

Nope failed running all tests.

nope.jpg

Last edited:
Sort of......

I requested to check/select FPU and Cache along with CPU. Don't worry about memory for now. Temps should heat up in this run... just cpu only is nothing. ;)

For the next screenshot, get Coretemp. Have cpuz and coretemp visible and run the aida stress test. Keep an eye on voltage (what it's running at under load), temps and wattage... see how she does. Post the screenshot with peaks.

92C.jpg

Here is the latest run.

Yes I checked all the boxes this time and OMG the TEMPS went flying. But it did not restart or overheat yet.

Great! Let it run for a few/several hours. If it doesn't crash or overheat, I'd call it stable.... see if it works for you.

...and if it does, trash OCCT. ,;)

Okay well I am so stupid and have to admit it to everyone!
Okay the temp issue is resolved and it was something I think I should have done from the start.
I was putting the thermal grease on all wrong!
I put a nice size glob on the center of the CPU then just put the Cooler on top of that, while sometimes that is good it is NOT good all the time, I noticed taking off BOTH coolers spot's the thermal paste was not even on leaving the CPU IHS bare.
So, seeing my STUPID noob mistake I put on a rubber glove and applied the paste all over the IHS and reseated the cooler and OMG the temps are 20 full degrees cooler I am currently trying my overclocks again as they were scuttled due to improper placement of the thermal grease.
But a preliminary run at 4.2Ghz 1.32Vcore is netting me only 80*C!!!
I will post more later.

Just the dumbest thing I have ever done, and I was thinking this CPU was "BAD". Dum!

I did a 10min run @4.3Ghz NOT an issue at 1.32Volts! and my temps look at that!
propertemps.jpg

This is proper thermal grease application.

Last edited:
Well now you really won't believe this! I have 4.4GHz STABLE at 1.32-1.33Vcore! And OMG look at the temps!

4.4 1.32vcore.jpg

So it all came down to improper application of thermal paste!
Just an FYI to Everyone take a rubber glove and coat the entire IHS!

Back