• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help my 2.4c break the 3ghz barrier!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jonas007

My system:

Abit IS7-E
2.4c @ 3ghz, 1.55v, 5:4 divider
512 Corsair XMS Ram @ 2.8v
9800 Pro

Divider is 5:4
agp/pci if fixed
ram is at a,n,a,d,d and set to SPD
HT is disabled
Switched dimm's, didn't work

Any idea on why I can't get past 3ghz? It's prime stable at that speed. Any idea's?

disable SPD and make sure your RAM is at its default timmings..n yes up your Vcore a Tad more and try again & why do you have HT disabled????

You've hit the notorious i865/i875 + Winbond CH5 memory chip brick wall. It causes an inability for the FSB to be raised above anywhere from 250-270MHz regardless of memory timings or ratio.

I used to have some Twinmos with Winbond CH5 in my rig and I hit that brick wall at 266MHz FSB, using the 5:4 divider. 267MHz FSB wouldnt even post even at 3:2 divider, which put my RAM at below DDR400. Changing timings and voltages didnt make a difference either, all this despite the fact the processor was prime stable at 266MHz FSB.

In the end, I ordered some Winbond BH5 based RAM, and now Im sat at 300MHz FSB using the 3:2 divider for 3.6GHz using 1.65v.

Tried more voltage to the ram? My 2.4C is at 275 FSB right now with a stick of Corsair XMS PC3200 v1.1 running 5:4 (220FSB) 2,2,2,6 @ 3.0v with the Vdimm mod on my P4P800 with the i865 chipset. My PC4200 should be here today to let me run 1:1 at those speeds, and then faster after I get off air cooling with this rig.

2.8v is as high as the IS7-E goes, any clue as to how I could pump more into it?

I'll try raising the Vcore, but I believe I did try it once and it didn't work. I'll let you know.

Well, I tried setting the ram to "manuel" and set the timings to 2,3,3,7. No dice. Then I tried loosening up the timings to 3,4,4,7, nada. Upping the vcore to 1.65 didn't do anything either. AHHH!!!! I REALLY wish I had know about the whole ch-5/bh-5 deal before I got the ram. Oh well.

Back