• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build - suffer from random freezes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My Asus Z170 Hero is on BIOS 2202 from 2016/09/26. I will update it today and then check it for few days, maybe it will help.

After updating of BIOS freezes still occurs. It is curious but it looks like my PC is freezing only during online gaming. Recently I launched Playerunkown's Battlegrounds and I left the game in main menu and it freezes after 30 minutes. Today I launched Witcher 3 and then I went to work, latter today I will check the results.

After the Bios update was unsuccessful I would RMA the Processor. I had a sky lake processor that would Freeze, after the RMA I have not had a problem in 7 month using the PC 8 hours a day.

Sadly I am from Poland. I will ask them how long it will take and then I will decide if should buy temporary CPU or not. Maybe I will buy Ryzen or Skylake-X platform Instead and my dreamed NCase M1 and then I will have amazing mini ITX build ;)

Intel service told me to turn on Hot Plug for my HDD and SSD in BIOS, result? Four days without freeze! I hope it if fixed now, if not I will return to this forum.
PS. Isn't it strange that my PC freeze without Hot Plug enabled?

Yeah, weird! I wonder what the connection between those two things is and if that represents a bios bug or a CPU instruction set bug?

My understanding is that Hot plug is a technology that supposedly allows you to plug in a SATA drive to a SATA port without risk of damage or corruption while the system is already running.

My understanding is that Hot plug is a technology that supposedly allows you to plug in a SATA drive to a SATA port without risk of damage or corruption while the system is already running.

Is that a Bios option?

Hi folks, many faulty hardwarde issue can cause thoses freeze for sure but in most cases of freeze i had over years on many pc i had,

1- the power supply and/or AC wall plug was faulty to deliver stable current, no doubt it's a good start to have good stable power and tension first, to remove thoses problem from the list i always use a power backup to regulate and stabilize power from the wall and double check the pc psu with a multimeter to see if he fail somewhere to deliver properly.

2- the motherboard need to sit and get properly grounded into the pc case otherwise audio crackle and pc freeze or stuttering could happen.

3- of course all of this can also be caused by faulty/corrupted bios or wrong setting, also faulty hardware like motherboard, cpu, ram, gpu, and even faulty mecanic hard drive.

be sure to start troubleshoot with stable current and reinstall motherboard in the case, sometime the screw fail to ground the mobo properly at the pc case at first install and do your test with minimal hardware : 1 stick of ram, one hard drive and default bios values and install a fresh windows 10 on it, let windows 10 install all chipset drivers from update to give a try....

Back