• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with cooling and airflow please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sturm

I need some views on my current set up.
I think my rear exhaust fan my be intefering with my CPU fan's airflow.
I have 2 front intakes and 1 side intake
1 rear exhaust and a blow hole up top.

Managed to get a couple of pics before the battery went flat.

Attachments

• cooling 002.jpg
    cooling 002.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 252
you got the fans placed right and if i see it right you cut the fan grill out of that 80mm up there.

one thing if your use the back two as intake , that will suck hot air in and thus making your CPU run hotter

dead_man311 said:
you got the fans placed right and if i see it right you cut the fan grill out of that 80mm up there.
Yeah it's cut out

dead_man311 said:
one thing if your use the back two as intake , that will suck hot air in and thus making your CPU run hotter [/B]
Not sure I'm with you on this, I have only 1 rear fan there and thats exhausting air. BUT is it stealing too much of the air flow needed by the CPU fan?

if you aren't going to use the exhaust spot below your back fan w/ another, you'd better seal it up w/ tape or something, since any hot air expelled will have a tendency to be sucked back into the case.

If you really think that exhaust is hurting your CPU fan performance, you could always just turn it off to find out for yourself.

Personally, I'll bet it's doing more good than harm ;)

remember that the heated air coming out of your CPU HS is going two ways: towards the back wall, and towards the front.

That half of the air going towards the back wall is (hopefully) being expelled by the back exhaust fan. That air going towards the frontside is likely drifting towards some other exhaust (if you have any), or being sucked back into your CPUHS fan (to be reheated...).

if anything, I'll bet sealing that open grill up will help your exhaust do its job of getting rid of hot air better :)!

mine run 37'C idle to 42'C load , i also have at the time it was tested 17 fans , now i have 19 fans but i have yet to test it since still modding.

if you got a extra 80mm fan try another exhaust in the back and see what it does

Just added another 80mm fan to that spare fan space and temps now
Case 34C CPU 42C Idle
Might cut out the fan grille tomorrow if I can find a dremel disk.

The fans won't fight for air when they are set up like that... Air flows freely enough that having the intakes with that amount of spacing is immaterial.

A PSU with two fans is best, and might effect temps as the innards get pretty hot in there. Can't tell if there is a fan in the bottom of that one or not, but doesn't look like it to me.

Take load temps please, download and run prime95 or toast.

Here is a link to toast... It will take about 15 minutes to get a decent load reading.

If it is not hot where you live, your case temps are TOO high.

EDIT: Must have been a forum error... Here's the link again ;) -

http://www.majorgeeks.com/article.php?sid=867

Last edited:
Another suggestion:

Dump the front intakes, be sure to provide minimum restricted air flow through front (Dremel job?)

Add another exhaust to the back, below your current one.

Congratulations as you are on the right track: smooth air flow drawing ambient air into case and exhausting beyond your hot spots which are normally the CPU and graphics card.

Try to keep wiring out of air flow so that there is a smooth transition of air from the front of your case to the back.

Another reminder: more fans do not equate to better cooling. You have already discovered the possibility of what mixed air currents can do; glad to see that you have an inquiring mind.

Good luck on the next transformation; and, there are going to be
several more after that.

Dunno what the ambient temps are, wife likes the heating on though >.<
Load Temps for CPU get as high as 48/49C with Case @41/42
Always seems to be 7C between Case and CPU both idle and load.

PSU only has a rear exhaust fan, I think I might cut some of its case away, since it exhaust is weaker post blow hole addition.

Already have 2 gapping dremmel holes in the front that look Ghetto for the mo, could possibly add another side intake right near the CPU.

I try get a thermometer and get an ambient room temp.

Sturm, what kinda temps do you get with the side panel off and a desk fan or the like blowing into your case? That 7° doesn't sound right..I know TR HS's are good but somethings not reporting correctly..IMHO ...The best I get to date on my SP-94 HS with heat pipes is a C/W of .10 ..What are you using to read your temps? :) The .10 C/W is at 50% load Folding! 100% load temps are in my sig.

Grill removed from the 2nd rear fan mount.

Here is pic of the monitoring tools

MSI's Core Centre
MBM5
Smart Fan
As you can see they all report the same temps for both case and cpu. Surely they can't all be wrong.
I now have an 8C difference between case and cpu temps
Temps are higher than last night as the wife has the damn heating on >.< I will post more temp readings once she is in bed.
Room temp is hot enough for me to take my shirt off :mad: lol

Attachments

• temps.jpg
    temps.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 182
Sturm, I *think* the 2 biggest problems with your system would be:

1) It must sound like a freakin Shop-Vac with all that air moving ;)

2) The fan on the HS is way too big IMHO.

I have recently subscribed to the theory that the fan hub is the biggest problem in HSF design. Try mounting a 80mm fan on the heatsink with a 25mm "spacer" (a dermel or utility knife would quickly turn a $3 80mmx25mm fan into a $3 25mm spacer).

Also with a fan overhanging the heatsink as much as yours does I would think any air that did get through the heatsink would have to fight it's way out of the massive shower of air bouncing off your MB... I think that makes sense, consider how the outside edge of a fan blade moves many feet-per-minute more than the inside edge (hub area) fiven a fixed RPM. I bet that 75% of a fans flow originates in the outer 50% of the blade surface.

I have to agree w/ Chixofnix. If I were you, I'd either slap another exhaust fan on the rear of your case, or tape that grid up to prevent blowback. Also, how close is you rig sitting to the wall??? I have similar temps to you, and mine is sitting right back against a wall (my only option atm). Even with my high pressure Tt SF2 fan exhausting, I'm almost positive I'm getting blowback from that position. :-/

Again, as archilochus mentioned, remove your side panel and blow a desk fan into the case. That should give you a good indication of what your ideal ambient case temp should be. ;)

This is kinda off the subject but has anyone ever tried stacking fans? Both to be sucking or both to be exhaust? Seems like it would just double the power ....i dunno just an idea...

Nope! Won't work as there are too many variables to consider.
As an example, both fans would have to be fully synchronized with regard to fan blade placement and RPM's. A miniscule drop in voltage will alter the RPM resulting in a really weird air flow pattern where the fans will be fighting each other. Single fan is the solution; increase size or RPM to up air flow.

Back