• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

setting up gentoo server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaltag

Good evening. After recently getting Gentoo running well on a server I'm setting up, I want to get apache, mysql, and php running. I am emerging apache right now. Is there any good documentation on how to setup apache and the other servers on gentoo? I BARELY got it working with slack so I'm sure gentoo will prove to be just as hard. If no good documentation exists is there anyone here willing to hold my hand? Help is much appreciated.

edit: after emerging apache and httpd I cannot rc-update add httpd or apache. I could do that for mysql though. It seems now that the mysql is not happy because it looks like it can't find my hostname. Here;s the message I after the emerge and trying to run the script you see in the command line.

server bin # ebuild /var/db/pkg/dev-db/mysql-4.0.18/mysql-4.0.18.ebuild config --force
* Press ENTER to create the mysql database and set proper
* permissions on it, or Control-C to abort now...

Neither host 'server' and 'localhost' could not be looked up with
/usr/bin/resolveip
Please configure the 'hostname' command to return a correct hostname.
If you want to solve this at a later stage, restart this script with
the --force option
!!! doebuild: Please specify a valid command.
server bin #

Ideas?

Last edited:
First thing to do, after emerging it, would be to edit the config file, in
/etc/apache2/conf/apache2.conf
All you should need to do is edit the first few lines to suit, the rest should be fairly static. The only one you really need to change is "ServerName".

After that's done, you should be able to start it by running:
/etc/init.d/apache2 start
If that starts successfully, and runs fine, then you can add it to startup using:
rc-update add apache2 default

Gentoo prefers Apache version 2, which is probably different than what slack used. For php, I suggest emerging mod_php, which is an apache module for php, and is much easier to get going.

su root said:
First thing to do, after emerging it, would be to edit the config file, in
/etc/apache2/conf/apache2.conf
All you should need to do is edit the first few lines to suit, the rest should be fairly static. The only one you really need to change is "ServerName".

After that's done, you should be able to start it by running:
/etc/init.d/apache2 start
If that starts successfully, and runs fine, then you can add it to startup using:
rc-update add apache2 default

Gentoo prefers Apache version 2, which is probably different than what slack used. For php, I suggest emerging mod_php, which is an apache module for php, and is much easier to get going.
if you want to use mysql, you should set USE to "mysql

USE="mysql" emerge mod_php4

Back