• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help setting up a Linux server to run F@H

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lochekey

Senior Pink Member
Ok so I am here for some help to hopefully get my server set up to act as a folding farm as well. Lets start off by saying that I am a total hack when it comes to Linux so you will have to babystep me through this, to the point of giving me exact code to enter into the command prompt.

So to start off I have a server set up running a barebones server install of Fedora 23 supporting Amahi. I primarily use this as a file server and plex server. I normally run this headless and everyhting is done through the command line. The system hardware is listed below.

CPU - I3-530
MOBO - Intel DP55WG
RAM - 4x2gb of generic 1066 MHz DDR3
GPU - GTX650ti

I will include a picture of the disk setups in case this is necessary. Please bare in mind that I am using Greyhole to manage my disks in case this comes into play.

snaphsot0013.png

So I am primarily looking to do GPU folding on this platform as I do not think that running CPU folding on this is worthwhile and I do not want to affect my plex server too much by folding on the CPU. I know the 650ti is not a great card for folding but I hope to get at least one maybe 2 better cards in the future but want to make sure the sytem works successfully before investing in cards. I was hoping to be able to continue to run this system headless and just remote in if I need to make changes. If this is not possible I can live with that but it would be my primary goal. I guess that is about it for the time being. I am sure there will be more information people will need but I do not know what that is so please feel free to fire away with questions and I will try to awnser to the best of my ability.

Thanks in advance
-Lochekey

yep, it's Kepler and Kepler is supported.
sorry, I can't help you with the rest.

Do not know anything about Fedora, all my hosts are running Ubuntu. There are some cmd line instructions for installing FAH in Xbuntu at Folding Forum, but doubt if the syntex will work in Fedora. https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=30450#p298678
There are references about running FAH in Fedora over at the Folding Forum, so apparently FAH does run in Fedora, but not much info on installation and troubleshooting.

There is a Nvidia driver ppa for debian based linux like Ubuntu. Google shows how to install a nvidia driver in Fedora using the nvidia.run files, but much more complicated than using the ppa.

The i3-530 has 2c/4t. Each nvidia GPU will use one thread at 100%, which can be one of the hyperthreads.

The DP55WG only has one slot suitable for GPU folding, the x16v2.0 slot.

An overclocked 650Ti-boost will make about 40-45K ppd in linux with driver 370.28.

Lochekey,

Have you figured this out or do you still need assistance? Most of my systems are Red Hat based linux boxes. So, if you still need help, once I'm back in front of one of them, I'll give you the run down.

-Kirk

Nope I took a break from it as I am trying to get some scores up for the country cup over at HWBOT. Plan to get back after it next week. I may just reinstall the server with a gui based version of fedora instead but have not decided yet.

@Lochekey, Also I'm not sure if you're still getting security updates on Fedora 23, as it's EOL and as such the current Fedora 27 may be a good move to upgrade to.

Would your plex server and Amahi be much of a headache to re-install, if doing an upgrade?

It would not be to bad to upgrade but I can only go to Fedora 25. The main issue is finding any workarounds that are necessary that crop up with each update of Amahi. The only major concern is if the full GUI install would cause problems as opposed to a server install of Fedora. The main thing is finding the time to do all of this as it shut down the network for my family. I should hopefully be able to experiment mid next week if you think this is the best path.

Fedora does tend to have short support life.
But running FAH from the command line isn't too tricky. And if you wanted to install a GUI with the system, but keep it light weight, XFCE should do the trick.

Back