• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

want a new router, need some suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

f1lite

Ok, time to ditch my old DLink router and go wireless. Any suggestions?

requirements:
wireless 802.11G or better
port MAPPING capable
firewall/packet filter
DHCP server with address reservation capability
wireless MAC filter
wireless encryption
VPN passthrough (Nortel IPSec)

thanks!

I've used a number of different D-link Wireless routers (A,B,G,SuperG).
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the SuperG (I got one brand new at overstock.com for $50 and d-link has a $20 rebate through May 2.
D-link Info
Also has a 4 port wired switch.
SuperG means 108 capable if you buy the DWL-g520 or g650 cards (depending on whether you want a PC card or a PCI card.

Do you know if it allows you to create/modify routing tables?

Cool emulator.
The routing table is the table that the router uses to determine where to route the packet to; whether it is an internal address or an internet address. I have another router that I use for lab work, and I would like a way to create a static route for the VLANs on that router.

From the sounds of that, it looks like you're in the market for a low cost VPN, not a router. A VPN (I believe also works like a router).

Edit: Something more like this:
DI-824VUP
(I am using d-link because I'm familiar with their products and website...)

Nah, no VPN. VLAN=Virtual Local Area Network. Segmenting the home network into multiple segments. I'm a network geek.

Oh, I thought you meant you wanted a direct connection to work or something (lab work...)

couldn't you just change the subnets? Even if you have to do it on individual computers, it would be pretty easy... (I wish I were a network geek, but alas... I'm not)

Back