• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help setting up a local network

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

expert87

Hi...

I have a somewhat small network at home, 2 desktops , 1 router, 2 wireless access points, 1 network HD , and 1 printer... all of these are connected to a LINKSYS SE4008 8-port Gigabit Ethernet Switch.
I've got about 3 laptops and 4-6 cell phones connecting to the wireless points.

So, the issues is showing on one of the access points, that is a Huawei WS322/WS323 Mini Wireless Extender.

the issue now, I'm leaving all the IPs on dynamic and use DHCP , I don't interfere with them, when I connect to access point # 1 I can access all the network peripherals (other Pcs and so) , but when I connect to the huwaei , the devices connected to it can't see the main network, only the pcs connected to the huwaei...
here is a snapshot of the status on the huwaei

3.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg

the current IPs I see in the main network are:
192.168.100.1 Router
192.168.100.3 Access point # 1
192.168.100.17 printer
I tried changing the huawei to 192.168.100.4 , same issue presists.

In other words, since I've got a switch and 2 access points:
1- how can I configure them all so I don't get any IP conflict? given that each one has several devices connected to it and each must get an ip ofcourse
2-in the same time be able to see all the peripherals on the network?
3- I used to have the huawei on repeater mode but smart phones would take long to realize the signal is too weak for the 1st access point and decides to switch to point 2... so I changed it to wireless router mode and set it up to another SSID... is there a solution to this problem?
4-kind of off topic, but is there someway I can store windows updates on the network HD and direct the pcs on the network to install their updates from their without setting up a server?

What's your IP when you're off the extender? Can I assume it's 192.168.33.x? If so, that's your issue. As an extender, the thing should just be an extension of your network. By the above, , and as you mentioned, it's creating it's own separate network, in which case it's being blocked from LAN-WAN as most routers will do.

You can create an any any policy in the FW of AP#2, but I'd disable it altogether. Also, create a route on your main router to point 192.168.33.x to 192.168.100.12 (or .4...whatever it will be) so traffic knows how to get back to that new network.

Actually, i found a solution today, by disabling DHCP on AP#2 and setting it to "bridge only" mode, i'm able now to access all of the main network peripherals , except, I can't access the AP#2 home page anymore, which is ok as far as I got my settings in a correct way...

yes you are correct, the ip would be 192.168.33.xx , after adjusting the settings above, I'm getting 192.168.100.xx which is near the range of the main network

Last edited:
Back