• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What would you do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
I purchased a used Ubiquiti 24-port PoE gen 1 switch from eBay. The last 6 ports do not provide power. The other 18 do as best I know.

Should I return it? Maybe a partial refund? Just keep it as is?

The point was to make my network more "Ubiquiti". Easier to manage. I also needed a bigger switch to match my patch panel. Meaning that the patch cable from port 1 goes to port 1. Port 2 goes to 2 and 3 goes to 3. With 24 ports on my switch, I can pretty much do a one for one patching. No crossed patch cables and makes it easier to troubleshoot at a glance. With the last 6 without power, It sort of messes with that a little. Not much.

Note: I still get gigabit on those ports. Just no power.

I mean, this is up to you, bud. It's your niggle, ya know? If it doesn't work as described, I'd return it.... but again, circumstances make the difference.

Hi thats according to the switch specs. it will only provide POE over 16 ports. It s a bit confusing but seems like the unifi way to go. BR.

Attachments

• unifi_datahsheet.png
    unifi_datahsheet.png
    52.9 KB · Views: 3
I've been pricing different switches lately.
Multi gigabit switches including 2.5Gbps and up to 10Gb on copper , low port number are running around $450

Do you need poe on all ports?
Is the patch panel ports occupied?

If your existing network functions as before with room to expand , I wouldn't return it.

Last edited:
Hi thats according to the switch specs. it will only provide POE over 16 ports. It s a bit confusing but seems like the unifi way to go. BR.
I'll go down that rabbit hole. Some differences is that the spec sheet is for gen 2 and I have gen 1. The other difference is that I have 6 ports that won't do PoE. In UniFi, I can turn PoE on/off on all 24 ports. The last 6 will not provide PoE.

I appreciate the input and like I said, I will look further into it.

FYI. The seller credited me back $25 and it is working for what I need. I mostly wanted to keep patch panel port 1 into switch port 1. Port 2 to 2 and 3 to 3, etc. Not being able to do that is not that big a deal.

We lost power the other night and I found that the switch is pulling way more power than I anticipated. I'm starting to suspect a power supply issue. For now, It's not on the UPS.

Last edited:
Back