• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can anyone help? I'm having freeze issues w/my AIW cards...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crb41479

Registered
I was able to run my 3dmark 03 fine several weeks ago w/ my setup

1.8ghz Northwood
1.024GB Samsung PC2700
Soyo Dragon p4s Ultra
ATI All in Wonder Radeon 8500 (just got a 9800pro)

Anyway, I tried overclocking the 8500 with no luck...Got articles/ freeze ups, etc, and so I returned the voltage to the default, as well as the clock speed to the default 274.5mhz.

After that, I started getting VPU Recovery errors and freeze ups during 3DMark 03.

I don't know if this was due to my overclocking attempt or to the fact that I upgraded my drivers to Catalyst 4.4.

I thought it might have been the card. I had been waiting for a while to upgrade my card and finally got a refurb'ed AIW 9800 pro. It works pretty well, but it has the same issue of freezing in 3dmark 03 and freezing during games.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks for your time.

Chuck

My CPU isn't OC'ed at the moment.....

I tried that a while back, but I am trying to fix this problem first.

I did uninstall the drivers before installing the AIW Radeon 9800 Pro. I'm having the same hanging/freezing issue in 3DMark03/games with the new card that I had with the 8500.

I read on here that it could be the Catalyst 4.4 drivers? Is that possible?

Or could there not be enough power going to the card? My power source is 400W I believe...I have a DVD RW, CDRW, Audigy 2 Plat., Thermaltake Hardcano, ethernet card, and a few peripherals running w/ the setup.

Will uninstalling the drivers, using a program like driver cleaner, and then reinstalling older drivers do the trick?

I should mention I have a dual boot...Win 2K and XP...same problem in both.

Thanks again!

Re: My CPU isn't OC'ed at the moment.....

crb41479 said:
I should mention I have a dual boot...Win 2K and XP...same problem in both.

If this is happening with BOTH OS's...then there is possible more then just a driver issue...

What power supply do you have...I know you stated it was a 400w PSU...but if it is a generic PSU...that still might be the place to start looking at...

Hmmm....

I will try to use older drivers...If that doesn't work, I'll go for the Omegas

I bought the power source separately from my Lian si case...I am not sure what brand it is, as I got it 2 yrs ago

As for the 2 O/S's, I always seemed to have probs running 3dmark03 in W2K, but only recently started having the XP probs.

For some reason, W2K always crashes...I had to keep Catalyst 3.7 drivers in order to run the TV.

Thanks again

Edit:

When I uninstall the video drivers for either O/S , it does not let me into Windows safe mode to run driver cleaner...Anyone have any idea why?

I re-installed Catalyst 4.2.......still freezed in 3DMark :(

Last edited:
*Bump*

I was thinking that maybe my computer is over heating and freezing...My thermaltake Hardcano has a probe taped to the outside of the Volcano 7+. When it hits about 35C, it freezes. I estimate that the CPU is about 6-7C higher (when I am in the bios, it says a system temp about that much higher)

Does this seem like a normal temperature to lockup at or?

What's the best kind of cooling system/fan I can get?

If the probe is on the oustide of the Heatsink...add 10 to 15c over...

Also, since the PSU is 2yrs old...I would be looking and watching the rails very closely...

Mine is almost 2 and when I put the mobile in...it showed me how old my PSU was...even after adjusting the pots...

I think it is definitely heat...

I decided to run the comp with one of the sides of the case off and it made a difference.

It was chilly today in NJ and I had my window open.
w/ the case close, the temp would climb quick in 3DMark03 to 35 before freezing (which I guess is 45-50)

W/the case open, it stayed around 31/32 while running the program.

What's the best Case cooler out there?

I'd like to get something that could just overall cool the inside of the case w/o installing a water cooler.

Thanks

Back