• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I make me new drive the master drive and transfer files from old drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pyramus

Just received a new harddrive (WD 200 GB SATA). I have a 120gb IDE drive already there but I wanna make the new one my primary harddrive. ie C:/

Also, I will need to transfer all my stuff to the new drive without re-installing everything.

Any help on this would be great

Use Western Digital's Data Lifeguard Tools ver 11, available on their website. This will help you set-up and partition and format your new HD, also, it will allow you to copy all your files from your existing HD to your new one and use the new one as a boot device. I have used this program many times with 2 IDE HD's, not sure about IDE to SATA, but it appears as if WD supports IDE to SATA transfers with this software. Best of all, it's FREE to download and use.

I'm not sure with a SATA drive, but I think you need to connect it to the SATA connector 1 and set it as the boot device in your BIOS. I guess it all depends on your motherboard and BIOS setup.

Back