• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem With XP Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dicecca112

I had problems with Windows XP a couple weeks back, and recieved this error about 20 minutes into the repair installation

"The Procedure entry point GetIUMS could not be located in the dynamic link library MSDART.DLL

Then last night I had to repair the install because I repeatedly received an error message causing explorer.exe to restart. So I tried to repair, and I received that same error message. The first time I recieved it, I was overclocking, but since that repair failure I left it at stock.

I scan for viruses and spyware/adware daily because I am paranoid.

What would cause this problem?

Could it be the cheap Maxtor HD I am using?

could be your HD...has there been anything weird comming from your HD...mayb a virus not adaware...check what is starting up by pressing the windows key in between alt and ctrl and R..this will bring up a window type in msconfig then enter then click start up tab and disable all and restart see if u still get errors...u might also have failing hardware mainly your CPU, RAM, MB, PSU.....check all

No weird noise from the HD, just seemed to be talking longer to load things than normal. I just scanned the HD a day before I had to reformat with nothing gound. Motherboard is 2 months old, it better not be that. CPU was bought new in August, Same with ram (512 stick) and the other stick was bought in March. Nothing in this system is more than a 10 months old. Is there a way to check hardware?

I did that. And then I got that same error message in my first post when it gave me explorer.exe error.

but again I ask how do I check? I suspect it may be the hard drive, just because it is a POS. Are there any utilities made by Seagate or Maxtor to test that?

First of all I am a firm believer of you get what you pay for. I payed 30$ after 70$ in rebates. They were a closeout. Its is a Maxtor yes, but it is made for Compusa, and their FMI line is junk. And the fact that I can't find it on the Maxtor website, and all I can get is Maxtor 6Y060L0. It has no MB buffer, it is the cheapest of the cheap. But anyway, can anyone help me to test what is causing this huge downgrade in performance

see to me I find it odd that all of a sudden the performance quality would degrade so fast. Thanks for the link to the utility fadirocks. I may be talking to you when XP makes me so angry I finally switch to Linux

LOL :) yea linux is nice but I make more money off Microsoft Products hehe. My clients call me crying to fix their Windows!
If you like to try linux, you can start up with KNOPPIX it's a linux on a CD nothing to install and there is no dangers of running it! http://knoppix.net/ have fun with it

yeah I have tried knoppix, and love it, just could never figure out how to change it to 1024X768. And the fact that a I don't have support for my sound.

Back to the topic, I ran Powermax, recieved no errors, surprisingly. Now what?

if you got no errors you should be fine with your HD but here is my queustion did you install SP1a or SP2 RC1? if not you should

I have sp1a, I am nervous about installing RC1. You said you work with windows, if you had windows would you install it?

Yea I have SP2 RC1 installed on 2 machines both working fine actually better! I used to have the problem of Explorer restarting but i never got a message

Back