• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prime95 error - what do I tweak first?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

guttapercha

Hi, I just put together my first OC system. Here's the skinny:

NF7-S
XP2500 MOBILE
Kingston 3200 (512 MB) CL3
antec 350W PS
WD 80G SATA
Zalman CNPS3100+ Heatsink

The settings changed in Bios are:

200 * 11
CPU Voltage = 1.75
CPU/Mem= 6/6

I get prime 95 errors after about 2 minutes. Guru won't run for some reason, so I can check the temp while running prime.

However, if I start Sandra immediately after the error, it tells me that I'm at 48 C.

Any help would be appreciated.

here's what happened - now what?

Ok - here's what happened.
I lowered the multi to 8 and prime crapped out in17 minutes. When it was at 11, it crapped out in 3 minutes.

I also got Guru to work - temp goes up to about 50 degrees in both cases, just mutch quicker when the multi is at 11.

What to do?

First you need to set everything to stock and get prim95 stable. Then you need to test your CPU variables for stability and find the max, then you need to do the same wiht the memory. There is a lot of testing involved with OCing.

Some other things to do.

the L12 mod
test your memory for stability in memtest86

What temp goes up 50 degrees? That doesn't sound good at all...check your heatsink/waterblock mount and give us some temps. Use Motherboard Monitor 5 for that.

What are your timings set to?

Ok, I'll crank down the FSB and the multiplier and find the spot for Prime95. I guess I went into this a little stupidly thinking that this combo would be easy for a modest overclock of 200*11. Oh well, it's a project.

The CPU temp (in response to the other query) goes up to 50C not up an additional 50C.

What makes the most sense to tweak first: FSB or Multi from stock? Since it's a mobile processor, stock is going to be 133 X 13.

I'll find that mem 86 thing and try that too - thanks! Will report back.

Back