• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New RTX 2080 Build significantly under performing, What have I Done Wrong?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Player_D

Registered
Hi All

Brand new to the forum so hoping i have found the correct category for this otherwise please kick me in the correct direction.

About 2 months ago I put together a brand new rig and since day one, i feel as though its performance is waaaay below where it should be. As a VERY loose benchmark, I play majority of my games with a friend who is running a 1080 (Not a 1080 TI and i dont have all his specs sorry buts its not an out of this world build, roughly 2 years old) and in games such as BFV, the new COD and Esc From Tarkov, his rig tends to average around 10-20% better performance. Again i know this is a very loose benchmark but every now and then ill get him to call out his FPS to compare. We both run games at MAX
Again this is a 1080 out performing my 2080
Tarkov is probably the worst at the moment, i know its quite a demanding game but i get fps drops down to about 30 FPS when Im looking over or towards a very detailed part of a map.
BFV tends to average around 110 FPS but even then i can drop down to 50-60FPS when things start to get crazy.

Current Build
Mobo: Asus Strix B350-f
CPU: RYZEN 2600
Ram: Originally i had 16 Gig Corsair 2400HZ but a previous suggestion told me this was possibly a bottleneck to low frames so have upgraded to 16 gig G-Skill 3200HZ and this made Zero Difference when tested on Heaven benchmark. I know this is a graphic benchamrk but was hoping the old ram was Restricted the GPU in some way.
GFX Card: Gigagbyte RTX 2080 OC Gaming
HDD - ADATA XPG SX8200 - R3500-W3000
P-Supply: Corsair RM 650X (650 Watt)
Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU QHD 144Hz G-Sync 27 Running at 2560 x 1440

All components running the most current drivers

Below is a Benchmark from Userbenchmark which sadly is out of date, since this test i have upgraded the SSD -previously running a Kingston A400- R500-W350 as well as upgraded the Ram to a the Gskill 3200 but i have seen no performance increase other than the expected Read/Write speeds which are of fantastic.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/12917253
If you have any pother suggested benchmarks to help evaluate let me know, ill try them out in about 6 hours when i get home and post results.

Any help is much appreciated.
This is the first AMD build I have made since about 2006 and im Worried the RYZEN is at fault here.
Dont get me started on the BIOS update required on first generation Ryzen AM4 motherboards to be compatible with this CPU, i think I will be keeping clear of AMD going forward after that absolute mess around, frustration and waste of time.

Thanks!

download msi afterburner.
you can select to have cpu and gpu usage displayed on screen in game.
if the cpu shows 80-100% usage and the card shows less than 80% it's the cpu, and vise-versa.

Butt dyno measuring. :(

You say you run the same settings... but does he have the some resolution monitor you do? Do you have Ray Tracing enabled? When you 'call out' FPS... are you both in the same exact spot looking at the same exact thing at the same exact time?

Have you tested this in a NON MULTIPAYLER game or free standalone benchmark to see? MP games aren't generally consistent so....

The 2600 isn't holding much of anything back, especially at WQHD resolution like you have.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses all

In Response To Wingman, Yep DX 11
In response to Caddi Caddi, thanks i might give this a go!
In response to Earthdog, Yeah same Resolution, Ray Tracing is off, and when calling out FPS its usually standing at the same location (Side by side) and looking in the same direction, typically at an object such as "place X-hair on tip of the bell tower". I know this is not an accurate benchmark but when your both running very similar settings and i am on the latest gen of Card, i would not expect to be getting 10-20% less than what he, unless i have screwed up the build.

It could be anything. What driver are you running? Tried another? Reinstalling the current one?

Run a 3DMark Fire Strike (extreme) or Timespy) and compare it to our results on the front page. You should be darn close to 10.4K in Timespy and 12.5 in Fire Strike Extreme.

Also, have you tried overclocking your CPU... it won't help much at that res, but...

It could be anything. What driver are you running? Tried another? Reinstalling the current one?

Run a 3DMark Fire Strike (extreme) or Timespy) and compare it to our results on the front page. You should be darn close to 10.4K in Timespy and 12.5 in Fire Strike Extreme.

Also, have you tried overclocking your CPU... it won't help much at that res, but...

Have had about 3-4 GPU Driver updates since getting the card, have not noticed a change in performance between the driver versions.
Ill have a crack at 3Dmark as suggested and take a look at the results.
Pardon my ignorance but front page for which thread to compare results.
Thanks again for the help!

What CPU is your buddy running? The size of the discrepancy you reference could be due to CPU processing power. If he has a high end i7 or something and overclocked, and you're not overclocking our Ryzen that could easily explain the discrepancy in CPU demanding games. We just don't know enough about your buddy's rig to help you much.

With a RYZEN 2600 running gaming at 1440p the CPU would not be a problem. I would look at some benchmarks you could compare with your friend.

What about heat as well? Do you know what temp the card is running at? Do you have good case ventilation?

Could be a possibility of thermal throttling

Sorry for the late response, didnt get time after work yesterday to run the test.
Final score on time spy is 9553
Friend will be on shortly so ill get his specs and maybe run the same test

In response to comment on heat, card has never gone over 70 Degrees C
As for minor overclocking for 1-2% changes, i can give that a go later but i would prefer to see if there is in fact a big problem, im thinking that from this score there is an issue?

Test 1.PNG

The card seems to be working fine here. My graphics score on a 2080 FE is 10.8K, yours is 11K (the overall score takes into account CPU so I am ignoring that).

The CPU score, for an AMD Ryzen 2600 seems low. That thing scores 5.4K whjile my 8700K @ 4.7ghz scores 8.5K.

Last edited:
Thanks for confirming, ill see if i can do a few more CPU benchmarks then, appreciate the help though!

Just for reference (and out of curiosity), ran Time Spy on my HTPC which is currently running its 2600 at stock with a mild undervolt, and it comes in at 6.1k, topping out at ~60c during the test.

Ill take another look at CPU Temp when i get home but i have run other benchmarks in the past that show no alarming temp in the CPU, and i certainly dont think its struggling as the benchmark link below says all is running as it should be.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/12917253#PROCESSOR
here is a question that i really want to ask. When i first put the build together with a friend i was working to a budget, however i then received a bit more money from a tax return and blew out from a 2070 to a 2080 and bought a new 4k monitor.

Am i likely to see a very noticeable difference if i were to switch to intel and used something like an i5 8600K?

Nope. Not at that high res. Cpu already doesnt matter much at WQHD where you re currently at.

Maybe a silly question.

Is your internet connection stable? Is it wired or wireless?

I only ask as the games you have mentioned you are having FPS drops in are all online multiplayer games if I am not mistaken. Looking at the problem from another perspective and assuming your hardware is performing as it should.

Back