• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for machine screws

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crank

I'm attempting to mount a ThermalTake SmartFan II on my Alpha PAL8045 and have found the screws I was using with the Delta too short. Does anyone know where I could get 3mm x 75mm machine screws? Basically longer versions of the 50mm screws they provide. Otherwise I was thinking of using Tt's duct mod to allow it to mount.

TIA,

Crank

I had the same problem. I used 20 lb test fisihing line to tie my 92x38 Delta onto the heatsink. It seems to work fine so far.

You can go to the local hardware store and get 10/32 0r 8/32 , bolts and nuts...They come in various lengths..No shipping charges..:D

Most hardware stores carry screws of all sorts. Ace and Lows are probably your best bet. Ace usually has a better selection than Lows.

archilochus said:
You can go to the local hardware store and get 10/32 0r 8/32 , bolts and nuts...They come in various lengths..No shipping charges..:D

Would these be able to screw into the bottom holes of the pal8045 heatsink? I would hope the thread size would be close enough. I've tried two local hardware stores, Lowes, Home Depot and that site is the earlier reply regarding the metric machine screws. 50mm is as long as they get.

My other plan was to get the DuctingMod from Tt where the mod would connect lilke my current delta fan does and the Smartfan would connect normally. I also thought of zip ties, but to get one long enough makes them too thick for the holes.

Crank

Use the bottom mounting flange of the fan..Not both flanges..You may have to put the screws in the flange before you mount the fan to the HS...You follow what I mean?...:) Are the fan mounting arms on the HS threaded?

archilochus said:
Exactly what i was gonna say :D Thats what i did. Cost me 20p for a bag of em for my case fans. Surely theres a good quality hardware store near you? I went to a local tool shop and they had all kinds and sizes. Just have a search through the Yellow Pages or somethin...I found the mainstream stores to be pretty poor your better going to the proper trade stores. Thats what i found anyway.

Crank, from all that I read about this ,the fan screws that come with the HS are for a 38mm = 1.5" thick fan...The TT SF II is a 25mm = 1.0" thick fan...The screws should be to long not to short...But you have it in your hand not me..:)

I just picked up a few small bags of SS machine screws at Home Depot. They have drawers and drawers full of metric and standard sizes, counter sunk, panheads...you get the idea.

Happy hunting!

archilochus said:
Use the bottom mounting flange of the fan..Not both flanges..You may have to put the screws in the flange before you mount the fan to the HS...You follow what I mean?...:) Are the fan mounting arms on the HS threaded?

Unlike my Delta fan there is not upper or lower flange on the Tt Smartfan II, only the upper. The space between the two is covered by the fan itself. This makes the screws that came with it short by about an inch or so. And yes the holes on the four corners of the heatsink along the bottom are threaded.

I'm hoping to get the same screws I already use, only longer.

I'll have find a good store in Columbus, OH as I live east of it with smaller hardware stores.

Crank

Another thing you could have done is get something called a "threaded rod". Basically it is a 3' rod that is threaded. Getting it in your size may be tricky. I found onely one place where I live that has it.

Back