• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

burnout

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rooster098

Registered
i just got the SETI@home thing from one of the posts on these forums as i thought it would be a nice idea to help in the search. i have been watching it go, but i noticed that when its running, it uses 99-100% CPU power. the question is, as its on a lot of the time, is this going to kill my CPU or reduce its life span? will running it at 100% for long periods of time, say 12 hours damage my CPU? also, im guessing the heat wont be too good from that usage. any help wopuld be great.

Well if you're temps are bad then it won't be very good for your CPU. However, I've been running SETI 24/7 myself on the system in my sig for nearly 2 years now (averaging 45C) and nothing bad has happened.

Running a CPU at full load 24/7 dosen't really harm it. It will make it exposed to more heat (which WILL harm it), but so long as your cooling is even close to acceptable it'll be fine.

JigPu

yeah watch your temp first if they are uder 55c for the diode so u are safe u can run SETI@home as much as u can

anyone know of any good temp monitoring software. i have to currently look in the bios which is of no help as i will need to keep turning it on and off?

Back