• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on A7N8X-X Rev 2 board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

andypandy

Registered
I have read the various articles on OC for this board, but have a few questions on this newly purchased board and new amd xp2500. I used the wire trick to unlock the cpu. I have only one kingston 3200 (ddr400) 256mb memory chip.

There is an optional setting on the bios (V. 1006) that states aggresive. This seems to set the cpu ext. freq to 200mhz and the cpu mult. to 11. This give me an output clock speed of 2205mhz - equiv to amd 3200 (as per WCPUID) . The memory timings are set to agressive, which are 8.3.3.2.5. I currently have an old agpx2 card (Nvidia Geforce2-GTS) - I will be upgradingh soon to 8x card.

With these settings my system seems stable even when pushed hard and temps are very good considering my cpu fan is running on lowest setting (you can hardly hear the PC). full load - socket 50/diod 52. Therefore I can drop these temps a lot lower if necessary.
I think there is still room to go further. I tried upping the cpu multi to 11.5, but WCPUID still reports 11 ? and bearing in mind the fsb will not go higher than 200 it seems I'm basically stuck at this level. OR am I ?
Any advice welcome.

I did come accross one guy who said all amd cpu's purchased after dec 03 were locked. Does that mean the wire trick is ineffective ?

upgraded to latest version 10009 - still the same. I cannot overclock further than 200fsb x 11 mulit = 2200mhz.

Anyone out there ???

I'm here!:)

Well, from the begining: If you want to overclock your CPU, i can tell from start that you can. here's what you'll do: In BIOS, change from Optimal to User Define (not Agressive) then, put the memory frequency from SPD to 100% (it gives you an 1:1 FSB/DRAM ratio that's the one A7N8X-X loves the most) next, in the Memory timing feature, set to User Define and as your memory is an PC3200 you can start with 2,5-3-3-7 (but you can change it after (lower number means more performance but less overclocklability i.e. 2-2-2-6; next, increase the vcore to 1,75 or so (don't go higher for now).About the multiplier, what you heard is true, in fact, all AMD Athlon XP above 2100+ multipliers are locked after 2003's week 39 ( but i don't know if yours is a chip from an old stock try to change it and if WCPUID allways present same multiplier, then it's locked) Now, in the FSB you pic an frequency above the one you have now, save and reboot. If reboots, increase FSB 2MHz each time untill it stop rebooting. Then, you switch off the power suply and take out the CMOS battery (it looks like a niquel on the lower right side of the motherboard) count slowly to 10 put the battery on again (TRUST ME ON THIS, MOTHERBOARDS DON'T LIKE TO RUN WITHOUT BATTERY) and switch on the power suply. Start again and in BIOS, back down the frequency time about 8Mhz from the point it crashed. this is a process of trial and fail...and a little luck to...
Now, you should test your system and memory to see if it's stable and give a looking to CPU temps, they are important factor in overclocking. You can use Prime95 to test system and memtest86 to test memory.
Wich you luck:)

P.S. There'll be no wire tricks with those chips...

Last edited:
parsifal, Ah, I see what you mean. right I'm off to experiment. Although I'm not sure whether to wait for my new graphics card - the "Sapphire Radeon 9600XT Atlantis 128M DDR" and my extra Kingston 256mb of ram (to run dual 400ddr) before experimenting (3 more days). I have heard Kingstons chips are renowned for not godd OC. ? Obviously having 2x256mb will mean the memory can then run dual channel 400, but what would happen if I but another 256mb chip in the last slot (same 400ddr) ? would it decrease the performance although obviously I'll more memory.

One thing I have noticed is the temperature of my HD is running between 48 - 53 after a while. I have no HD cooler and not sure whether I need one.
Thanks again for the advice and will post a reply once I have experimented.

If i get it right, you are wainting for one more 256mb. To make it run in Dual channel, you have two choices: Put the new card in slot nº3 leaving the other in slot nº1 OR put the new one in slot nº3 and the other in slot nº2. try both ways for some time to see wich setting (1-3 or 2-3) gives the better performances. You can began right know instead of waiting for the second memory therefore, will be able to understand how far can your CPU go with one single memory card and then, when receive teh other, start from there. Kingston are great chips, believe me. I have one myself (PC2700 not PC3200) and CPU reach 2350Mhz easily. I back down to 2139 'cause high temps and PSU problems (only 300W). Speaking in temps, yours are perfectly normal. MIne are much higher (63ºc working folding@home) and CPU is completly stable!
Increasing your memory can only give performance improvement because in AMD systems, Dual Channel doesn't make much difference... sometimes is better run in single channel! We never can tell the CPU's reaction to this or that BIOS settings. Like i said before, it's a matter of trial and error and... a little luck to!:)

I'm back with an update.
Firstly, my CPU is definetely locked with the multiplier set to 11. So upping the fsb is the only thing I can do. I got upto 216fsb and thought that I should be running the prime95 program to make sure it passes at least a few minutes of torture testing !!

Sure enough 216fsb although boots up prime95 kept failing with "hardware failure detected" about about a minute. to cut along story short I got back down o 211fsb and the failure still hapenned at 6 min. Surprisingly the first 2 tests in the prime95 torture test seem to be running longer than 10 mins when I stopped it, but the 3rd test fails after 6 mins.
I've left the memory at 2.5,3,3,7 - any lower and the system just does not boot up. memory freq. is set to 100% as instructed and voltage set to 1.75.
I've put the extra 256mb ram in slots 2 +3 - it seemed marginally faster on running tests with slots 1+3. Incidentally I tried it in slots 1+2 and the system would pop up with an error on the file system in windows. swapping the memory back cured this.

I will leave this as it is for the moment 211fsb*11 = 2327mhz unless I get any system hangs I will lower the fsb.

I am now just waiting for my new AGP card - any day now. I think the prime95 3 various tests might have an impact on the results too.

A couple of questions: One thing I noticed is that on bootup it says the memory is running is single channel mode ? (on both slot combinations I tried) ? yet the CPUZ.exe program reported 512MB channel: Dual - should the bootup not show dual channel ?

Secondly, should I up the voltage a bit higher and try running the prime95 tests again ? my cpu diode and socket temperatures are still reading very very well (idle socket 43/idle diode 40) - on full load they seem to go just 50.

I could have continued to up the fsb, but if the system is not failing the prime95 test so quick then surely there's no point in going further higher ?
My psu is 350w.

QUOTE]Originally posted by andypandy
A couple of questions: One thing I noticed is that on bootup it says the memory is running is single channel mode ? (on both slot combinations I tried) ? yet the CPUZ.exe program reported 512MB channel: Dual - should the bootup not show dual channel ?

Secondly, should I up the voltage a bit higher and try running the prime95 tests again ? my cpu diode and socket temperatures are still reading very very well (idle socket 43/idle diode 40) - on full load they seem to go just 50.

I could have continued to up the fsb, but if the system is not failing the prime95 test so quick then surely there's no point in going further higher ?
My psu is 350w.
[/QUOTE]

Before all, it's not normal the error you got when boot with mems in slots 2-3. Was the error something like "config.sys failure, the file doesn't exist or is damage?" If it was, that's normal. It happens when people reboot without secure Windows close. Specially done in the midlle of some system freezing or Prime95 test. (It happened to me before). All you have to do is follow the same steps when system crashes (the mobo battery thing). If the error was other, well, i don't know but, are the slots clean and without dust? Did you perfectly install the mem card? I just don't know...

About your questions:
1. This is not the first time this issue is reported. All i can say is for you to check ALL the BIOS sets and look for something you missed... I know that CPUZ is realiable. If it says memory is Dual Channel then, it should be...(can't help you more)
2. Of course you should up the voltage! Or else, you don't go anywhere. But again, keep an eye on temps... this also answer your last point. Increase the vcore 'till 1,775v and test it. If temps remain okay you can increase 'till 1,80 and so on. You also can change the timings remember that lower numbers less clockability but more performance and "vice-versa"... Good luck!!!

P.S. Run Prime95 the most time you can (say, all night) I did that and it gave me an error past 8h20m. I choose to ignore it. I know my system is not 100% stable but, hey, it's not probable that i have some system crash in normal CPU activity! Prime95 is "heavier" than normal software and games. As an example, i'm running Folding@Home for 32 hours! It's also an stress tester and so far 0 errors. Ah, one more thing... do you know memtest86? test your memory with it.:)

In prime95, I presume it's the torture test I should be running, but within this option there are 4 modes to run tests. Which one should I run and leave overnight ? There's even an option for a custom settings run ?

I'll try upping the voltage slowly and keeping an eye on temps.

Hi,
still no grahpic card arrival yet.

I have manged to get to 214fsb x 11. My voltage is set to the highest level. My memory is set to 2.5,3,3,7. My core speed is set to 2362.5 mhz. At 215fsb it ran for an hour only and failed.

I left prime95 running overnight and it failed after 5 hours., max temp was 59. That's with my fan running half way (2836 rpm).

I don't think I will push it any further and will settle for that. One thing I did notice is the system bleeped occasionally when running the prime95 from about half an hour into the test and occasionally upto 5 hours . What's all that about ??

I mean the system speaker single bleeped occasionally throughout even though the test did not fail until the 5th hour.
I ran memtest for about half an hour - clean no errors.

Hi, andy,

Well, if you think that in normal CPU usage you don't put more load than Prime95 does, you can stick to your plans. Why don't you play the most system resources demanding game or program of yours for some time? Then, you'll see if your system can handle it.
keep those memory timings, they are good. Better only 3-4-4-9, but, it's too slow...
About the bleepings, honnestly i've never heard of that... Read the Prime95 help to find something about. Maybe it's because the high voltage... i don't know. But, if the system is stable and temps remains average, then, everything must be allright.
Another thing: For best sytem performance i suggest that you take a look into www.forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=11113 and give some time reading it. Some of those links have very cool stuff to tweek your system to max ;) (It worked with me.)

parsifal said:
If i get it right, you are wainting for one more 256mb. To make it run in Dual channel, you have two choices: Put the new card in slot nº3 leaving the other in slot nº1 OR put the new one in slot nº3 and the other in slot nº2. try both ways for some time to see wich setting (1-3 or 2-3) gives the better performances. You can began right know instead of waiting for the second memory therefore, will be able to understand how far can your CPU go with one single memory card and then, when receive teh other, start from there. Kingston are great chips, believe me. I have one myself (PC2700 not PC3200) and CPU reach 2350Mhz easily. I back down to 2139 'cause high temps and PSU problems (only 300W). Speaking in temps, yours are perfectly normal. MIne are much higher (63ºc working folding@home) and CPU is completly stable!
Increasing your memory can only give performance improvement because in AMD systems, Dual Channel doesn't make much difference... sometimes is better run in single channel! We never can tell the CPU's reaction to this or that BIOS settings. Like i said before, it's a matter of trial and error and... a little luck to!:)
The A7N8X-X unlike the rest of A7N8X family does NOT support Dual-Channel mode. For this reason it makes no difference which slots you put the RAM in.

MisterEd said:

The A7N8X-X unlike the rest of A7N8X family does NOT support Dual-Channel mode. For this reason it makes no difference which slots you put the RAM in.

That explains why bootup screen shows "Single-channel" and why the mobo's manual doesn't says anything about Dual-channel. Nothing to worry about i suppose, like i said before, In AMD systems it doesn't make much difference.

I wonder why CPUZ shows "Dual-channel" in andypandy's CPU...

By the way andy, the mew BIOS upgrade (v.1009) is avaiable in ASUS website. Download the AWARDFLASH too. Then, follow the website instructions. It's easy.

Last edited:
you are right, that is a bit strange shwoing dual channel in cpuz. I am on the very latest bios rev.
I received my new graphics card today and got it installed. I managed to up my fsb to 215 and prime 95 ran for 10 hours without no errors - I stopped it. running it at 216 falls over with an error ater 10 minutes. Temps are all still OK - under 60 all the time.

andypandy said:
you are right, that is a bit strange shwoing dual channel in cpuz. I am on the very latest bios rev.
I received my new graphics card today and got it installed. I managed to up my fsb to 215 and prime 95 ran for 10 hours without no errors - I stopped it. running it at 216 falls over with an error ater 10 minutes. Temps are all still OK - under 60 all the time.

That's great news! Now, to take the best out your graphic card you must look for the latest drivers and some utility or tool to overclock (if you want to) that chip.
Cheers:)

I've now taken the fsb upto 218. the P95 tests fail within 5 minutes and I am not sure why ?. The temps. still look good. The highest the temp has got to was 61 and that's with the fan on the lowest - quietest setting. I turned up the fan half way and that dropped temps down to about 57. But the prime95 tests still fail. The case temp is reading between 28-32 , which is great.

I don't play games on my PC - maybe the odd TOCA 2 or my daughter's cat in the hat game. Mainly use it for dvd riping and re-authoring and burning and so far - even at 218fsb I have absolutely no problems.

I am beginning to think the P95 tests are overrated and just not useful enough to warrant for proper testing and it gives you absolutely no idea why, when and what it's failing.

Anyone know of any test that's a bit more informative. SISoftare sandra , wel the burn in tests just ran and ran - no problem there !!!

andypandy said:
I've now taken the fsb upto 218. the P95 tests fail within 5 minutes and I am not sure why ?. The temps. still look good. The highest the temp has got to was 61 and that's with the fan on the lowest - quietest setting. I turned up the fan half way and that dropped temps down to about 57. But the prime95 tests still fail. The case temp is reading between 28-32 , which is great.

I don't play games on my PC - maybe the odd TOCA 2 or my daughter's cat in the hat game. Mainly use it for dvd riping and re-authoring and burning and so far - even at 218fsb I have absolutely no problems.

I am beginning to think the P95 tests are overrated and just not useful enough to warrant for proper testing and it gives you absolutely no idea why, when and what it's failing.

Anyone know of any test that's a bit more informative. SISoftare sandra , wel the burn in tests just ran and ran - no problem there !!!

Prime95 is the "heaviest" stress test software that i know (and i know a lot!), if the test fails, is because your system isn't 100% stable and you must back down the FSB a bit. Why did it failed? Well, hardware issues might be the cause. I mean, if you have run memtest86 without errors, Prime didn't fail because the memory but because your CPU just can't handle with the oc you made. It's normal dude. You can always ignore the error but, you can be kick off games wich are graphic demanding; if you work in folding@home or seti@home, you wont finish any work because the cpu's unstability; the cpu may freeze under full load circunstances; you can experience crashes and all kinds of stability probs. Cheers :beer:

Back